Aeumifesh?

Hi, looking through my book (arguably, just made it to the character burner section) and I’ve come acrossed something I found weird. The Aeumifesh isn’t listed in the book (at least yet) and I figured that’s something important.

It is! it is! it is a Vaylen LP trait p248.

it is also in the Index! :shock: :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that shortly after posting when I flipping through my book.

Good, we (gamers) so rarely get a good index, I often forget to even bother looking. Truthfully I am not sure what to do with the Aeumifesh myself. Seems very strange.

Though think of a larger created creature who had this ability gene-spliced in. Could take over your whole ship in a matter of moments, and might be intelligent enough to drive it some where.

Though think of a larger created creature who had this ability gene-spliced in. Could take over your whole ship in a matter of moments, and might be intelligent enough to drive it some where.

The Aeumifesh has a primitive mind that upgrades the Naiven’s natural state, and it has some specialized abilities that permit it to tap into computers and sensors to expand those capabilities. A Aeumifesh couldn’t take over a ship “in a moment”, but it could mess with it pretty well. And Iron too, as in Faith Conquers.

The idea is that the Aeumifesh allows a Naiven to “hull” an electronic mechanism in the same way that a Naiven does a biological mechanism (with vastly more limited results).

-Chris

Aeumifesh + Bolo = trouble.

So, an appropriate train of thought would be “Naiven with Aeumifesh = Gremlin” as opposed to “Naiven with Aeumifesh = Virus (Traveller: The New Era)”?

Gremlin is a good way of putting it. A Aeumifesh Vaylen isn’t bright enough to run a starship, but it can hack onboard computers to increase its ability to reason, particularly if they’re advanced (AI), and it can “see” with the vehicle’s sensors or internal security cameras, if it has them.

If you’re in a ship that’s been “infected” by a Aeumifesh, you’ll be dealing with crap like life support going out in selected areas, sudden blowing of hatches creating decompression problems, engines shutting down, communications going down… stuff like that.

-Chris

If you’re in a ship that’s been “infected” by a Aeumifesh, you’ll be dealing with crap like life support going out in selected areas, sudden blowing of hatches creating decompression problems, engines shutting down, communications going down… stuff like that.

XO - “Ensign, don’t mind those blown hatches and the poisoness atmosephere, thats just an Aeumifesh.”

Ensign - “Yes, Sir.”

I take it, though, that AIs can be a bit more active in their defense than biological entities. After all, there isn’t a lizard brain to devour. And if the Aeumifesh can be instructed to surge, well that worm might get fried by the “indignant” computer.

I’m now imagining AI instincts of the following sort:

If InstructionDevice.Type == Aeumifesh then InstructionDevice.FRYFUCKERFRY

AIs have mental stats that an Aeumifesh can use. :twisted:

Hah!

I was getting worried that Sergeant Fox’s throwaway remark in Faith Conquers, to wit “Until it connects to a brain or computer, a Vaylen is just an animal, a naiven,” had been left by the design wayside.

Thanks for clearing that up. You just made my day.

And Geil’s throwaway remark to Fox that “As long as there’s power in the ship’s systems, the Vaylen are in control…”

-Chris 8)

Shodan is NOT amused :evil:

Where are my ‘perfect, immortal machine’ opposed skills rolls, meatbag!?!

ponders AI lifepaths

So a AI with good mental stats could become something like the Virus (Traveller: The New Era). In that it may think it’s god… or Awake. and forget it’s a worm…

I could see a military type installing Aeumifesh into bots to make them smarter… Not realizing the danger.

*note to self got to demo BE, soon!

Damn it, zipht, stop scaring me!

… wait a minute. I want to run Burning Empires. Why am I getting scared?

:twisted: Ahh. That’s better!