Calculating the outcome of a DoW volley

Hi All -

I’m trying to introduce BWG for my group, and I’m planning to run The Sword demo for them on Friday. I just want to make sure I understand DoW correctly before then :smiley: I searched the forums for this, but didn’t find anything, so I’m hoping someone will confirm my impression of how it all fits together.

In a Duel of Wits volley, when you compare actions on the “Resolving DoW Actions” table (BWG p394), to determine the outcome you have to look at the interaction both ways, right?

Example #1:
Alex scripts Feint
Bob scripts Dismiss

If Feint is “Your Action” then the table says No Test. Alex is vulnerable. But to what?
If Dismiss is “Your Action” then the table calls for a Standard Test. Bob rolls his skill test and Alex deducts the successes from his BoA.

If you execute both results, the outcome is clear - Alex’s Feint provides no defense against Bob’s Dismiss, and Alex’s BoA is reduced by Bob’s Dismiss successes. Is that the correct outcome?

Example #2:
Alex scripts Incite
Bob scripts Point

If Incite is “Your Action” then the table calls for a Standard Test. Alex makes his skill test, potentially forcing Bob to hesitate. (1)
If Point is “Your Action” then the table calls for a Standard Test. Bob makes his skill test and Alex’s BoA is reduced by the successes.

If you execute both results, then Alex’s BoA goes down and maybe Bob misses his next action. Is that the correct outcome?

Example #3:
Alex scripts Dismiss
Bob scripts Incite

If Dismiss is “Your Action” then the table calls for a Standard Action. Alex rolls his skill +2D, and successes are subtracted from Bob’s BoA.
If Incite is “Your Action” then the table calls for a Standard Action. Bob rolls his skill, and if he succeeds, Alex hesitates on his next volley.

If you execute both results, the Bob’s BoA goes down by Alex’s Dismiss test successes, and maybe Alex misses his next action. In this example, both players are effectively defenseless.

(1) Side questions about the consquences of Incite:

- I want to confirm that Bob hesitates on his NEXT action -- not the current Point, but whatever he has scripted for the next volley, right?

- If Bob hesitates on the second action of a volley, replacing a scripted action, does the lost action trigger in volley 3, or does the scripted volley 3 action trigger?

Thanks very much!!!
Bill

Hi all,

For point 3, Bob hesitates and replaces Volley’s 2 action with hesitate, which means he does his 3 scripted action on Volley 3.

I suggest reading the examples of both DOW and Combat, I am sure that on hesitation that the rules are the same, except for how long.

Good Gaming

Simon

Hi all,

On your side questions, his next action means exactly what it says. It is replaced by his hesitation choice and is lost.

Example 3, part 2, If Bob gets a number of successes at least equal to Alan’s will, then Alan has to make a Steel test or hesitate for his next action.

On the rest, Std means that your successes are taken off your opponents BOA, Vs means that the difference between the rolls is taken off the losers BOA, on No Test then you do not make a test, but your opponent does, probably reducing your BOA.

Good Gaming

Simon

PS These are how I view your examples.

Thanks! This is helpful. I think what I was trying to confirm, though, is whose action is “Your Action” on the table. I am pretty sure the answer is “Both”.