Circles vs. Say Yes

Some situations make me want to go to Circles but are maybe better handled by Say Yes. For example, in our upcoming campaign the PCs are members of a small military type unit. Maybe 200 people. At some point, they’re gonna want someone to patch a wound. I have no idea who this person is but as the GM I know he’s there. It just makes sense to me that someone there can do some medical stuff. And he’s probably right over there in THAT tent. Should we even go to Circles? As I type this it feels more and more like Say Yes.

But Circles would be fun to determine disposition, right? If we circles up once though, do I then need to have them Circle this bastard up every time they need him?

For that matter, can you circle up GM created NPCs that we already know exist in the fiction?

Go with whatever seems right in the moment. Say Yes is certainly an available tool. On the other hand, Circles is also appropriate.

He may dislike you. You may owe him money or have cheated him at cards. He may be busy treating someone more seriously injured or more important. He may have been picked by the evil sorceress that employs you (and whom everyone knows he’s smitten with) to go on some ridiculous commando mission, so you’re forced to deal with that creepy witch doctor that serves as his attendant.

It’s your call as the GM. And yes, Circles is appropriate for bringing in NPCs created by the GM, unless the GM knows they’re unavailable. Then simply say “sorry, don’t bother testing. You can’t find him.”

Excellent, thanks Thor.

Side note, may be relevant: There is no Let it Ride when you Say Yes. :slight_smile:

Very appropriate addendum Paul, thanks.

If the disposition is what’s at stake you can tie it into a character trait of the guy rolling. Womaniser? - You slept with his sister! Gambler? - You got all his money! Clergy? - Complications for his marriage.

I am writing that down. That’s brilliant.