Disengage

I have two questions about the new positioning mechanics:

1. At the top of an exchange, I disengage from my only opponent. It’s a duel. We both want to continue the fight, but I need to catch my breath for a bit (change weapons, shrug off a wound, etc). Is there still an exchange after that? Meaning, do we both script actions but refrain form affecting our opponent?

My guess is that we both script actions, before engaging again (and we use the Engage table, not the vie for position table) so that if he’s hesitating at the top of the exchange, my opponent would have fewer actions before a new engage roll. But also, if I’m casting a long spell, I only get my Reflexes in actions before a new engage roll.

1. If I read it correctly, if I disengage from my only opponent (as in a duel) and I don’t want to keep fighting, I can end the fight then and there and Let it Ride will protect me from said opponent engage me again. Am I right? If so, what happens intent-wise?

See the Eye of the Storm rules on page 457.

1. If I read it correctly, if I disengage from my only opponent (as in a duel) and I don’t want to keep fighting, I can end the fight then and there and Let it Ride will protect me from said opponent engage me again. Am I right? If so, what happens intent-wise?

No. Take a look at the last sentence of the fourth paragraph of the Disengage section on page 437.

“If you wish to remain out of the fight, but an opponent attempts to engage you, you must test to disengage as above.”

1. There will be a next exchange, but you don’t script actions. You have an Exchange’s worth of actions to work with to do whatever you want; prepare a spell, shrug off a wound, whatever. See the Eye of the Storm rules on page 457 of Burning Wheel Gold.

2. That’s how I read it, yes. If you win the Disengage, and your Intent is to make a clean get away, you get your Intent if you succeed. But only if that was your Intent. If you were just trying to get out of sight for a second, then I as a GM allow would allow a Chase scene if the other fighter wasn’t done with you yet.

Edit: Thor, I hate to say it, but I think you’re muddying the waters a bit. I think the pertinent quote is from the 3rd paragraph of the Disengage section: “When you disengage, you may not reengage or be reengaged by that opponent for the exchange.” If you choose to use that time to make a run for it… shouldn’t you be gone, baby, gone?

1. Dustin has it. You really can agree upon any amount of actions before you reengage, but an exchange is a good benchmark.

2. You are correct. Thor’s instance is only correct if you’re hovering at the edge of a fight in a new opponent wants to engage you. Obviously, Let It Ride would protect you from being reengaged by someone you’ve already beat.