Engage in Fight!

Goblins with spears, man. 4 goblins with longer/longest weapons? No sorcerer can cope with that.

Delicious.

So, basically, if you want to deal with someone, you have to engage them. You can choose to engage a group, but it’s risky, since they’ll get to pile on helping dice and, well, you’re just you.

I think I got it. Maybe.

You got it.
One White Fire coming right up.

Just to be sure everything is jiving I will point out that you (as a PC) don’t really get to just arbitrarily designate groups. The GM will decide who’s operating as a helping group. And yes, you position against that group. But if the GM is running the four goblins warriors as separate entities for scripting, a PC can’t declare it a group and position against the as a whole. I don’t think.

It sort of sounded like you may have gotten that impression, maybe not. Just trying to be extra clear.

Good for you. It hits one target now, then you cede advantage to the goblins. If you’re lucky, it jumps to a different random target, which might also be you. Enjoy following up with another spell at a +4 casting Ob.

The new Fight! rules are awesome.

It sort of sounded like you may have gotten that impression, maybe not. Just trying to be extra clear.
Well, I disagree that “I want to engage these three targets” is an invalid Intent. And I’m the GM. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can imagine a situation in which you’re trying to position against 3 targets. If they’re not expressly operating as a group, I think I’d have the player make one roll and compare his results against the 3 NPC’s individual results. In the case of more than two weapon lengths, we just give +2D to the longest weapon, +1D to the next longest, and nothing to everyone else.

If they’re operating as a unit, they position as one, helping dice and all. Do not mess with goblins.

Sure, so long as all three are interested in Engaging me at the same time it makes perfect sense and you don’t even have to bend the rules to get there. You just described how it works. I would actually be rolling to position against one of them and they all are trying to position against me so all is well, we’re all engaged so long as I’m cool with it. I’d actually roll the weapon bonuses with different dice just make sure I applied them where they mattered, but that’s me.

However, if two of those guys want to Disengage and the other wants to fIght, it breaks down if you’re letting me designate them as a group. At least one of those guys is getting away. No way around it. Thats the way I’d run it anyway. Not slamming your GM decision.

Of course that’s all assuming that they’re not acting as a group, like you said. If they’re working together, yep I position against then all.