Errata: Number of tests for advancement

I couldn’t find this on the errata or the forum, though it was mentioned in this thread which points to a now non-existent other thread.

How many challenging tests are required to advance skills/stats? Up to 4 you may choose difficult or challenging, after you must get both, but the text and tables differ on how many (pg 312-3). The text says exponent divided by 3 rounded up, or (1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3), but the table says (1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3).

Thanks,
Guy

Edit: Damn It, I Thought This Was A Bw Thread!

Unfortunately, I only have access to the BE book, where it discusses this on pages 312-3. There the text and chart definitely differ… the chart does look better to me somehow. To confirm: the BE challenging test requirements for exp 1, 2, 3, etc. are 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3?

Thanks,
Guy

What table on p.44???:confused:

Hey man, let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion.

First, you’re getting yourself confused because you’re looking at a Burning Wheel thread for answers about Burning Empires. The thread you linked to is not pertinent.

Second, the number of Challenging tests required to advance skills and the number required to advance stats are different. That’s why there are two separate tables. The text you’re quoting only refers to skills.

Finally, you are correct that there seems to be an error in the text! This, at least, continues a long-standing tradition! For exponents 4+, you round up for Difficult tests and round down for Challenging tests. That should bring the text into alignment with the table, which is correct in any event.

To review: Don’t pay attention to the text there, just use the table.

The chart is right because each time the exponent changes, the required number of tests increases in only ONE category.

The math for Challenging tests is all wonkered when you divide by 3:
exponent 1-5 round down (minimum 1)
7 rounds down
but 8 rounds up.

The ACTUAL math that would equal the chart is:

[Exponent minus 2] divided by 2, then round down = number of Challenging tests needed.