Experienced but not promoted guard mice

I’m not sure I’m seeing a problem here. Why is this a bad thing?

I think such a trait would be used all the time since some players wouldn’t see the experience as something that comes and goes. If they use this one trait all the time it would be more boring, I think, than if they change between their traits. A solution to the problem might be to have a trait called ‘‘Experienced in …’’. Then it wouldn’t be possible to use it all the time and the player would have to decide on what area his extra experience lies in.

The game has a lot of mechanics to prevent this from being a problem. Experienced doesn’t seem any more problematic than Determined, for instance.

Remember:

1. The player is rewarded with checks for using a trait against themselves.
  2. The player has to incorporate the trait in his actions and the GM and players have to agree its relevant and cool.
  3. Level 1 and 3 traits can be used once per session unless recharged.

No problem, I didn’t want to be impolite but I thought it might be worthwhile to point out. Like Colin mentioned, there are a number of things built into Mouse Guard and Luke’s other games that create a specific play experience–a specific feel–at the table. And the community here mostly advocates for the style of play these games are meant to invoke. So the typical advice of “do whatever works for your group” is less relevant here, as most games for which that is common prescription are much more dependent on the players than to game to create a particular experience at the table.

OK, thanks. The other night, I did a quick perusal of the Recruitment chapter and I guess I’m just not seeing this issue the same way your group does. Each patrol can only have one Patrol Leader; any other guard mouse of considerable experience will have to be a Patrol Guard. I don’t see the need to balance anything beyond that.

Well, you can’t be “experienced” in everything. That’s why you’re only “experienced in…” Come to think of it, don’t the -wises signify your experience in something? If so, then more experienced guardmice simply have more -wises.

This is a solution looking for a problem.