Fight Questions

Sat down and did a FIght with a friend of mine today. It went…okay. But there were several things that we ran up against.

1. The Block & Strike vs. Beat was our first action. We adjudicated it as follows: The number of successes on the Block portion reduced the successes on my Beat. It lowered my successes to the point where the Beat didn’t work. His Strike landed but was absorbed my armor. My understanding here is that the Block portion will cancel successes on the opponent’s action, whatever it is?

2. After being hit and rolling a Steel test, let’s say that Hesitation was reduced to 4. This means that they can take no action for the next 4 Volleys, correct?

3. In a Bloody Vs. test, if I roll no successes on my Defense that means my opponent keeps all their successes? If they rolled 4 successes all four of these successes are able to be used to increase damage?

Thanks, all!

1 Like

For 2), they could take no actions for the next 4 actions, not volleys. If their Reflexes are 4 or higher, that would be 3 or fewer volleys since they could Hesitate multiple times per volley

2 Likes

Fight is kinda wonky, but makes sense after a while. That said, it is definitely a portion of the game where player skill (in addition to character skill) is very important.

1. Your outcome was correct, though for slightly different reasons then you think. Block and Strike uses the interaction set for Block for the defensive half, and the interaction set for Strike for the offensive half. So in your case their Block reduced your Beat successes because Block is vs. Beat. Note that the Block provided by B&S is less powerful than the one provided by the Block action - B&S only reduces successes, it does not get the extra success allocation that the main Block action gives.
  2. Like Agnelcow said, you hesistate for Hesistation - Steel Success actions. It pays to be quick witted!
  3. Almost. In Burning Wheel Versus Tests (of which Bloody Versus is a special category) ties go to the defender so you need to have one net success to hit. In your situation (4s - 0s = 4s) the allocation is: one to hit (you need to hit them after all), and three to increase damage as per your weapon’s Add score. So with 4s over the Ob you would be able to get a Superb hit with a knife, or a Mark with anything less nimble.

One more question, all! And thank you very much for the answers so far!

There are 3 bubbles under each wound type. If I suffer 3 Light injuries I fill in all three dots. What happens if I receive a 4th Light would? Does that dot go into the next highest wound category?

I haven’t got my book to hand, but, iirc, you can just keep taking Light injuries (and making the Steel checks) until your character falls sideways under the weight of too many negatives.

I’m pretty sure that’s how one of my groups (eventually) took out a dragon: they just kept inflicting Light wounds until it passed out.

Yes, the bubbles are just for tracking. If you rack up more than 3 light wounds, you’re probably out of play for a bit anyways.

1 Like

The only place where three matters for people is the Superficial -> Light push. Everywhere else, it’s a formatting decision since odds are you’re done (or basically done) at -4d.

2 Likes

Sweet. Thanks all! One last one! All the wounds of a single type (Serious, for example) are treated separately when it comes to healing, correct?

Yep, each needs to be treated and recovered from separately. They can heal concurrently, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.