First Timer seeks help regarding obstacle/conflict handling

Cheers folks,

I got my first TB game on friday as the GM and it’s basically kind of a relaxed 1 on 1 game for getting into the mechanics and rules.

I read some threads here in the forum and now I’m getting a bit confused about the obstacle/conflict handling, especially regarding fights.

My initial plan was to prepare the adventure with 1 big conflict in the end (if the player decides to reach his goal) and 1 optional conflict if he’s getting to greedy and delves to deep. The rest would be regular versus test for small fights and skirmishes. Though after reading the forums, I got the impression that pretty much every GM forces the group in their adventures into a conflict if they encounter any kind of creature. Is this the way how you usually supposed to handle fighting/arguing encounters?

Conflicts are good!

They give opportunities to earn multiple checks in one turn, which helps with recovery.

They give valuable learning tools for later conflicts.

They may end up being much easier if the PC makes good conflict choices.

They allow for much more varied test encounters.

In summary: have at least one conflict early, otherwise the player may get overwhelmed with a system they don’t quite get in the final showdown. And heavily poke the player to earn checks during easy/tied conflict rolls.

Thx for the reply.

I’m not saying conflicts are bad but I do think I have to up the pacing a little bit in a 1on1 adventure. That said, I think your suggestion of an early conflict is great and I’ll definitely incorporate that.

I think your initial thought is the way to go. Conflicts are fun, but they can slow things down. If you want to move things along, just do versus and use conditions and twists for any failures. Be descriptive and it’ll be just as fun and memorable as a conflict.

Edited the thread title for further questions:
Well somehow, I just managed to edit the sub title of my first post

1. Does an adventurer gains another bonus for dual wielding 1 handed weapons?

2. Since I’m a foreigner I do have some troubles with some words, especially now in my case the dwarven wise shrewd-appraisal. What does it mean exactly? And can someone give a few examples where to use it.

3. can someone point me to a fully filled original character sheet? I’m still struggling a bit with the inventory slot

No. At the start of each Conflict round, every participant announces the one weapon that they are using. The benefit to wielding two weapons is being able to say “Okay, I will use my dagger instead of my sword this round.”

Shrewd means very good at carefully judging something. Appraisal means judging the value, condition, or importance of something. So shrewd appraisal-wise means that a dwarf is very good at carefully judging a thing’s worth. For example, if the party found a sack of old coins, the Dwarf would be able to help figure out whether the coins were more or less valuable than normal coins.

There is an example of an inventory on page 35 with a few slots filled in. Is there anything in particular that you are having trouble understanding?

Thanks for the input. Regarding the inventory, what comes to mind is the quiver, is there any disadvantage in wearing one, since it can basically pack two items?

We had the first game yesterday and I had to turn the difficulty way down after the first hour but fun-wise the session was a success.

Two things I couldn’t find yesterday:
Can you carry your torches stack in one hand, including the burning one? (3 out, 1 lit)

Is there any way of Trait advancement (1 -> 2) during play? I absolutely couldn’t find anything in the book

Quiver: Giver takes your weapon slot and carries your bow and its ammo. You could put a 1-slot item in an empty quiver (if you lose your bow).

Torches: No, the burning torch would set fire to all of them. I would allow a player to carry a bundle of torches in one hand if they made a peasant test to bundle them up into a secure package using twine, rope, hide.

Traits: Yes, Winter phase. Or if you acquire a magic item that lends you a trait you already have.

I only use conflicts for extended scenes.

If the scene would only merit a sentence or a paragraph in a novel, then handle it in a single roll.

If it would span several pages with detailed description, a conflict might work.

If you’re in doubt as to which you should use, stick to single rolls. It keeps the game fast paced and keeps Conflicts feeling “special”.

Well Quiver says: A quiver holds arrows or bolts or two items.

Other few complications just to clarify:

1. I make camp and have angry and injured, I have two checks to spend. I fail my recovery test for angry, so I can’t try to heal my injury with my last check, correct? In result, I pack up and go to adventure phase again.

2. My friend was confused regarding the trait box on the character sheet, since your basically asked to mark only your “beneficial use”, he argued that he possibly could use his own traits against him for an unlimited amount.

If you have an extra check, you might as well use it for something. Though you’re right, you can’t use it for recovery if you’ve already failed a recovery test.

You can use traits against yourself all day.

This is a how we’ve been treating it. For example, my assassin’s weapons were hidden on her body, so her stiletto (which is described as being able to be hidden on the body) took up a hand slot (hidden in her glove); and her two throwing blades were her raiment (hidden in prayer beads). She wore an empty quiver in her weapon slot and treated it as a “large pouch”, able to carry two slots of gear as in its description.

My new barbarian is doing something similar since he carries a warhammer as his weapon (which is carry 2 and can’t be put in a weapon slot). So, I talked to my GM and he agreed to allow me to combine my one-slot waterskin and my two slot “large pouch” (empty quiver) into one three slot jug to carry his wine. (Which would be the same as carrying a two slot bottle in his “large pouch” and one slot in his skin, but with the disadvantage of not being able to carry both water and wine, but he’s ok with that. He’d rather have wine than water any day.)