Gladiator

That’s excellent advice, Pete, thanks! I can split out a goodly amount of that stuff. In fact maybe even three differentiated LPs - retired, honored, and beloved. Dude, I’m loving this idea. Creating that differentiation really hits upon how important they are in society and I don’t have to make the one so diverse.

Alejandro, I’m with you on this now with Pete’s suggestion. Just out of curiosity do you understand why I don’t start the skill list with weapons? I appreciate that you may not agree but I am just curious if I communicated well enough why I didn’t mechanically.

Thanks,

• Don

Duly noted! I will immediately change the LP to reflect Two Fisting Training and Fish-You-Can-Hold-by-Their-Tails-wise.

Wow, and I just realized that I don’t know what setting the LP should be in. Maybe a couple different options or a Gladiator sub-setting… hmmmm.

Thoughts? Two different Gladiator oriented LPs per human setting (including stable hands, trainers, presenters and managers) as well as two Roden and one great Spider Gladiator LP (since they are the races in our world)

OR

A single Gladiator Sub-setting?

I edited my post for clarity. I meant that the base Gladiator LP should have no Leads out. The only way out of the LP is to take the Champion LP.

Maybe that requires a special Trait?

One Way Out
Once the Gladiator LP is taken, the character may not take any other LPs besides Gladiator or Gladiator Champion. It’s either death or glory from now on!

I don’t understand the balance thing. But I put Apropiate Weapons first because I could not think of any other skill to put there. Maybe a wise?

I don’t think a trait is necessary. You can burn a gladiator and then leave the fights during play. (Maybe some senator hires you as a bodyguard or something.) But if you want to burn a character that was once a gladiator, the player should take another serviture lifepath first. (Or maybe you should make Gladiator a short sub-setting, and only Champion has leads to other settings.)

Or you can make a restriction:

Restrictions: If chosen, Gladiator must be the last lifepath chosen, or the player should pick another gladiator type lifepath, like Champion.

What about escapees? Surely there would be some escaped Gladiators. Maybe an “Escapee” lifepath in the setting.

I say get rid of that restriction and just tone down the LP a bit. It’s a bot over the top.

As to Resources, add a note like the Elf LPs that have weapon discounts.

Do you know that Burning Sands: Jihad has the Slave Gladiator lifepath, don’t you? It’s very simple in design.

I’ll look at the gladiator in Jihad. I totally forgot about it.

I have some work to do tonight. Stay tuned for more.
-Don

My updated version (for roman gladiators):

Gladiator
Time 2 years Res 3 Stat - Leads -
Skills: 4 pts: Brawling, Exotic Weapon, Slave-wise
Traits: 1 pts: Infamia, Fucked
Requirements: This can’t be the second character lifepath.

Infamia Dt
Maybe the gladiator was a soldier once, or a captive of war, or maybe he chose to became a gladiator, but he’s a slave now. He has not legal or social standing. This confers a 1D infamus reputation as a slave and also adds +2 Ob penalty for all social tests when dealing with all settings except Outcast and Serviture.

Champion
Time 4 years Res 5 Stat +1P Leads Soldier, Outcast
Skills: 5 pts: Shield Trainning, Crowd-wise, Arena-wise, Wild Animals-wise
Traits: 2 pts: Brutal, Crippled, Spartacus
Requires: Gladiator, and must to be chosen at least twice.

I’m not sure about the requirement for the gladiator LP.

What’s the problem with te Gladiator LP from de wiki? I think it’s the best by far: http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gladiator

Servitude and Captive Time Res Stat Leads
Gladiator 4 yrs 5 +1P Soldier, Outcast
Skills: 6 pts: Conspicuous, Appropriate Weapons, Shield Training, Two-Fisted Fighting Training, Brawling, Arena-wise
Traits: 2 pts: Tasting the Lash, Life is Death, Gloryhound, Branded

• Note: in the Servitude and Captive Setting.

Life is Death. Nice. :slight_smile: