GM FoN scenes

On page 428 it states that each player gets 1 color scene and 1 interstitial scene. It goes on to state that the GM has 1 color scene or 1 interstitial scene for each FoN. I would like to confirm that the use of “and” and “or” is correct as the diagram seems to suggest each GM FoN gets the same scenes as PCs.

One other related question. The GM gets 3 color/interstitial scenes as he has 3 FoN on the Vaylen side.

• Does each FoN get 1 such scene or can the GM use a couple on one FoN and 1 on another? I am pretty the answer is the former.

This leads me to a more general question. Can a player or the GM create a color or interstitial scene that doesn’t involve their PC/FoN but is about them. For example, a scene where you see two people carrying out a PCs instruction may show colour for that PC but not actually involve the PC.

Scenes are attached to a FoN and his minions. So you can’t double or triple up on one character.

The “or” in question is really me saying, “Hey, these are optional, don’t swamp the players with your monologues and soliloquys.” So yeah, GMs are not guaranteed a Color and Interstitial for each FoN per maneuver. When there’s a time crunch or story pressure, the antagonists lose out on screen time.

-L

But you could have scenes that don’t directly involve the FoN?

Cool. I understand that you need to keep common sense and a little leeway in these rules. I was concerned that a GM insisting on the same number of interstitial and color scenes as the players could involve a lots of the GM roleplaying with himself :slight_smile: So though I was looking for a strict reading of it, I like your repsonse that a GM really should really do what’s feels right here to an extent.

You’ll note on page 428 I mention that building scenes for players can be run with subordinate characters. It’s safe to apply this to the GM as well. And the GM can initiate conflict scenes using any character in his stable.

And you’ll also note that color and interstitials are relegated to players. It’s cool to use them to show shadowy activity or the effects of your character’s presence or an emissary on a desperate mission or whatever. So long as they are tied into the world, conflict and situation, you should be fine.

-L