Learning Distilled Abstractions

Is it possible for a mage to learn distillations as well as spell facets? For example, lets say my mage had successfully distilled Fire/Destroyer down to Ob 2^, 3 actions (from a total Ob 4^, 6 actions) while working on a “Firebolt” spell. Could that distillation be put through practicals just like any completed spell to make it easier to learn and create new abstractions in the field so to speak as any commonly used (and thus, well practiced) distillations could be combined, effectively bypassing the first and second distillation processes as that work would have already been done when the distillations were learned through practicals (still no easy feat).
You would still have the third distillation and spell finalization to go through before you’ld have a finished spell but it would make it easier to start abstractions with familiar facet distillations.

If the rules allow mages to learn distilled spell facets (just as they allow learning the pure spell facets) it could go a long way towards making Abstractions & Distillations viable in game again as distilled facets could be discovered and learned rather than only be abstracted and distilled by each mage individually, if the rules allow it.

Page 175 of the Magic Burner under the heading of First Distillation suggests that you are combining two facets into a single new facet for the spell you are working on (example is combining fire and destroyer into fire-destroyer: Ob2, 3.5 actions).
As this is concidered to be a new facet, can it be learned just like any other facet? (Found in a book, purchased in burning, learned through practicals).
It seems like a mage who knew a handfull of distilled facets could do quite a lot of abstraction spells in the field as he would theoretically already be past the first (and possibly second) distillation (s) it could be a way to make abstractions viable in field without having to worry about the old spell weaver (will+skill) rule that didn’t carry over from revised.

I could have sworn I answered this. Sorry, you can learn facets or spells, but not any of the intermediate stages.

So when the book says that you are combining two facets into a single new facet that single new facet is not capable of being treated as a facet even though that is what the book says it is a facet and facets can be learned just like spells but for some unexplained reason not these facets (confusion)

I think you’re reaching for an answer you want to hear. All that is supposed to mean is you use the new distilled facet in place of the original two when working out the obstacle and actions of the abstraction.

Not reaching, just going by what the book says and seeking clairification and explanation whenever a ruling is different than the written word. And again, the book says "Choose two facets of the spell to be combined into a single new facet (MaBu pg175).
And the Second Distillation also states “choose two (undistilled) facets of the spell, combine them, and then tests his Sorcery skill against this obstacle. A successful test means the two facets are “averaged” to create a new, unique facet” (MaBu pg176).
So through distillation, we are creating new facets. Facets that are uniquely specific in their usage. Where as Fire and Destroy could be combined to mean destroy with fire or destroy a fire, each unique facet must have a set purpose when it is distilled, thus creating the unique facet.
(which, in my opinion, should then be subjected to the same rules as the other facets in the game).

I can not seem to find any rules to the contrary, if someone could tell me where to find them it could help me understand why these facets should be treated differently.

I still haven’t been able to find anyplace in the books that states that the distilled facets should be treated any differently than the raw facets. I can see where you can learn facets, and where you can distill two facets together into a new facet (1st. & 2nd. Distillations). I just can not seem to find where these new facets are supposed to be treated differently from any other facets when it comes to learning them.

Where can I find this information?

Yes, you’re right there is no passage that says you can’t learn them, however I think you’re missing the context. All of the distillation process happens for a “formalized” abstraction. The presumption there should be that whatever artifacts come of it are limited to that original abstraction. Calling the results of the distillation steps a “facet” is a shorthand that was not intended to work the way you want it to.

Of course, this is just my read of the text, but I’m certain of the intent. I’m not going to go and look over your shoulder when you’re playing the game and tell you you’re doing it wrong, though.

Perhaps a good middle ground would be to consider them as Unique Facets, only allowed to be learned for creating and finalizing spells (making abstractions easier over time) may not be used to alter existing or finalized spells (only standard facets may be used to alter/abstract existing spells). That way you don’t have to redistill fire destroy every time you want to make a new fire based attack spell. (Or destroy presence AoF). Considering the time that goes into abstractions it isn’t much help, but it’s help all the same.

Considering the intent, l’ll glady take your word on that. You played this game for a long time and I respect and appreciate your knowledge and wisdom on the matter.
I also believe that the Revised rules intent was for abstractions to rely on the now defunct Spellweaver skill which we no longer have.
If this doesn’t break anything it may help make up the difference.