"Mana" as a Magical Resource Atribute

“Mana as mystical Resources” is an amazing idea! I think that can be worked with! Plus, it thematically fits.

I don’t think you can just recycle Resources mechanics, though. Too much death spiral for a novice, then too little risk once you’ve pumped it up. As I said, my back-of-envelope idea is always losing a Mana die for casting, then some roll to not lose more. Probably not a Mana roll, either; those “dice” might just be a resource tracker.

Which is very un-BW. More rumination required!

The original idea (which I may have failed to state properly) would’ve treated mana along the same lines as reasources, with a shorter cycle time and the obstacle to replenish your mana would be determined by how much you were taxed.
The other thing was that it would be applied to all magic/faith the same way with a skill required to tap into the reserves (sorcery/ritual/or more specific casting skills like restoration/ illusion/alteration/destruction/ect) idiom for recovering lost faith/overtaxed mana could require a quest/sacrifice/ritual to prove worthiness to your cult/temple/deity/whatever.
The point was that it would be a replenishable resource that would rise and fall with usage.
I could see it as being just one more thing mages have to manage and keep the spell power based on will. Cast spell (skill check), test mana (resource test) spell tax (forte test). If the whole thing were performed ss a linked test it would make things more interesting as extra successes in spell casting now have another option to choose (to apply to link test or save for traditional use). Running out of mana increases the obstacle for the spell tax (and lowers the mana for the next spell).
This would let mages be able to cast their low Ob spells fairly well (as they should be able to with experiance) while their higher spells can leave them drained of mana, yet still able to move around and participate in their group. It is only by casting the dangerously high Ob spells that they risk unconsciousness or death from casting (which is the way magic should be to the gifted and faithful).

The original idea (which I may have failed to state properly) would’ve treated mana along the same lines as reasources, with a shorter cycle time and the obstacle to replenish your mana would be determined by how much you were taxed.
The other thing was that it would be applied to all magic/faith the same way with a skill required to tap into the reserves (sorcery/ritual/or more specific casting skills like restoration/ illusion/alteration/destruction/ect) idiom for recovering lost faith/overtaxed mana could require a quest/sacrifice/ritual to prove worthiness to your cult/temple/deity/whatever.
The point was that it would be a replenishable resource that would rise and fall with usage.
I could see it as being just one more thing mages have to manage and keep the spell power based on will. Cast spell (skill check), test mana (resource test) spell tax (forte test). If the whole thing were performed ss a linked test it would make things more interesting as extra successes in spell casting now have another option to choose (to apply to link test or save for traditional use). Running out of mana increases the obstacle for the spell tax (and lowers the mana for the next spell).
This would let mages be able to cast their low Ob spells fairly well (as they should be able to with experiance) while their higher spells can leave them drained of mana, yet still able to move around and participate in their group. It is only by casting the dangerously high Ob spells that they risk unconsciousness or death from casting (which is the way magic should be to the gifted and faithful).