Being a Hack for a Knights of the Old Republic game.
I’m just throwing out some reposts of ideas I’ve found and some quick ideas that came to mind.
Here is a good place to start.
The link reposted:
Someone had a great idea on RPGnet. Use Mouse Guard for Jedi Knights. Given it simple mission based structure it should work well for a Clone Wars or pre New Trilogy era.
The main change would to make Nature -> The Force. Using the Force is identical to using Nature or Tapping Nature.
Jedi would have the Light Side descriptors mercy, compassion, self-sacrifice and peace. Sith would have the Dark Side descriptors anger, fear, aggression and revenge. If they hit Nature 0 then they would convert to the other side.
Use Traits to cover over specific Force Powers. In broad terms, you really only need Mind Trick, Telekinesis, Body Control, Energy Control and Farseeing. The bonuses you get reflect using these powers (Mind Trick could aid Persuader skill for example) and using them in a way that gets you in trouble (often seen in the movies) is already covered.
Cloak color becomes lightsaber color.
Skills need to be changed to appropriate equivalents.
That’s it really.
EDIT: Oh and I have the perfect title! It’s an Anakin quote and very appropriate to Burning Wheel’s central ethos:
I wish that I could just wish away my feelings but I can’t: the RPG
There are a couple of ways I have been thinking of using Dark Side mechanics.
Here is a hack for a Burning Ravenloft’s Darkness attribute and a good start for a Jedi game, but perhaps a bit too crunchy for Mouse Guard - unless one wants to go that route.
– I would let a character embrace the Dark Side to gain a free Persona (Fate?) but then the “Darkness” (read: Dark Side) attribute is raised.
– This would possibly need the addition of a Dark Side Trait.
Using Skywalker’s idea but tinkering with it I think this might work:
– Make Light Side Nature and Dark Side Nature in to a Paired Nature - meaning that both add up to 7. Yin and Yang.
So if a Jedi has a Light Side of 5, he also has a Dark Side of 2.
Now the fun part - the Jedi may Tap his Light Side Nature by using a point of Persona as normal, but the Jedi may also Tap his Dark Side Nature for free - to represent the temptation of the easy path to the Dark Side.
By Tapping the Dark Side the character’s Dark Side Nature is immediately raised while the Light Side Nature is lowered.
– Once a character has a Dark Side Nature of 7 they are retired from play - they become NPC enemies.
– Once a character has a Light Side Nature of 7 they are retired from play - the Jedi council asks them to become less active on “adventures” and instead they sit on the Jedi council as a paragon of Jedi Nature (ie. administration duty).
Any other ideas?