Morale and Conflict

Morale does not appear in the TB rules. But it appears everywhere in literature and real life. To cite a famous example: the goblins fleeing from Balin’s tomb once their chieftain was cut down (in the book, not the movie).

Nothing in the RAW provides a means to switch Conflict Type, and several threads here say it is specifically disallowed by the rules, though I can’t find the reference.

Any thoughts about Morale and how it might play out in TB, for both the opposition and the PCs?

Isn’t a “drive off” conflict implicitly a conflict to break the morale of the enemy and make them flee?

Opcero: Yes. Also, running away may be an appropriate compromise for many conflicts.

It seems odd that a side’s ability to flee is dependent on the opponent’s choice of Intent. I.e., I can only flee if you choose Drive Off.

In the combat example from the rules, the kobolds for certain had a different intent than Drive Off. Are conflict types always chosen from the party’s perspective?

Yes…sort of. Conflict types are always based on the GM’s interpretation of the PCs’ actions via Describe to Live. What the monster/npc theoretically wants doesn’t matter. However, the players’ options narrow when a confrontation with monsters/npcs is the result of a twist (see Rawr! Monster Twists on page 151). If a bugbear successfully sneaks up on you in a forest, forget about capturing it or convincing it of something. Even tricking it would be a hard sell with me (even though it’s one of their listed conflicts), unless you describe a pretty good trick. For the most part, your options boil down to killing it, driving it off or running away.