More questions

Uncle Deadly is back with more questions. I think this is the last batch. But these have come up in game, and I figured I would throw them out there.

1. In a conflict, the players declare which weapons they will use before they show their actions, but after the GM has chosen his actions. When does the GM declare what weapons the opposing team will be using? If it is before the players chose their actions this could give the players an advantage. On does the GM secretly chose and then reveal with his actions?

2. Has anybody tired playing with letting the Maneuver action buy multiples of the same effect (-1d to opponent, +2d to self, disarm)? Maneuver becomes useless if you score more than 6 successes.

3. On page 114 it reads “If two teams have the same target and chose actions that are both versus their target’s action, they must help each other rather than roll separately . . . Same goes for choosing independent actions . . . Chose which team and which action you’re playing, and which team and which action is just helping.” Does this mean that the two teams only get the result of one action? If they played an attack and a maneuver against a defend. Made the single roll (with the extra die of help from the second team) and beat the defend by two, would they have to choose between 2 disposition damage or getting +2d to the next roll, or do they get the effects of both actions.

4. The knife says “Any successful maneuver when fighting with a knife , against a spear, thrown or missile weapon counts as the disarm effect . . . in addition to your margin of success.” (page 118). What is the rational behind this? If I am being shot at with a bow, how is it that I disarm the bow (even if I knock the arrow out of the way)? We were trying to narrate a fight and could not figure out why knives have this ability. Also does this work against animals whose weapons count as spears or long range?

5. Do mice speak “weasel”? Or is this a loremouse test?

6. On page 255 it says “A weaver can manufacture fabric and create cloaks . . . The produces of a weaver can be used as supplies to recover from Tired conditions gained from being cold and/or wet.” So apparently all guardmice (excluding tenderpaws) count as having this supplies. Not really a question but something to note.

7. Cook, harvester, brewer, and baker (and resources) can be used to alleviate the hungry condition (page 127). Based on the skill charts cook, harvester, brewer, and baker can be used to feed multiple mice. I would assume you could use resources to buy food for the whole patrol, increasing the obstacle, probably to 2 (factors: common and more than one). However unlisted on page 127 is forager which lists food as one of the the things for which a moue can forage. Is this an oversight?

Thank you for bearing with me.

1. I never tell my players what weapons I’m using. :frowning:
  2. Maneuver also breaks the game if you buy multiple effects. If you’re routinely rolling 6+ successes on a maneuver, you have other problems.
  3. You close in with the bowman so you’re too close for him to shoot.
  4. Up to you.
  5. Sure.
  1. I would treat the weaver skill as a tool for recovery based on narrative; weaving takes time (a warm cloak, blanket, or tarp could be several days’ work). So, if the group is suffering from a generally cold seasonal effect, stops in town to buy a warm weaver product, and carries on, I would allow that to provide a gear die. In contrast, if they have acquired the condition while already wearing their cloaks (and/or any warm weaver product) I wouldn’t probably say the gear is able to help–it already didn’t help when needed.

2. Similar to weaver skill, cook, baker, brewer, harvester relates to taking time (maybe just an hour for cooking or baking). So, I might require Nature (forage) if players spend a check during the GM turn and it matches the narrative, while discouraging its use when the patrol is in the Player turn and can manage their time differently. Additionally, Nature (forage) can’t replicate cooking, baking, brewing, and harvesting (though it can come close to harvesting); it is grabbing for the most useful materials available without spending a great deal of time.

[edit] I would discourage use of Nature (forage) for recovery from Hungry/Thirsty. It is scrounging enough to get by, but not enough to eat or drink heartily.

So, for both, I think the narrative defines the demands.

1. I’d say that only the team playing out their action gets the results of their own action. The helping team does nothing more than help, but doesn’t get their results. It adds to the strategy of multiple teams. It can add to the tension too, especially for a team skilled at secret plans.

2. I’ve rarely seen that happen. Players need to be careful how much they invest into any given action if they are concerned for getting something for each success.

3. I keep animal weapons secret. I encourage players to decide, and write it down, but not say aloud their weapon choice. When describing mice or weasels, I alert them to the visible weapons, which often is the only weapon, but don’t tell secrets. I especially make a point of calling out Gear for Conflicts in non-fight conflicts to encourage players to use those tools as well.