Multiple rolls for the same problem - how does that effect the Grind?

If Batman gets eaten it would give a chance for the side-kicks to shine. Not really seeing the down side :slight_smile:

I would recommend re-reading the Never Volunteer rule on page 63. It basically says that if a player describes that their character is doing something, then that player is the one who makes the test. There should be none of this D&D’esque, “Player 1: I charge the orc! Player 2: Wait, I’m a better fighter. Player 2: Oh, right, I guess I don’t charge the orc” nonsense.

So, technically, yes, you could have a group of players who all sit quietly and don’t volunteer their characters to perform any action until they have all checked each others’ character sheets to see who the best primary actor would be for that test, and who could help, but in actual play I’ve never seen that. I mean, I’ve seen players strategize sometimes, but not every time. So, technically, everyone should have a chance at the spotlight, even if that light is shining brightly upon their best attempt which still leads to failure.

Never Volunteer seems to be based on Mouse Guard’s No Weasels rule, which had some recent discussion here: http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?14638-Understanding-the-No-Weasels-rule

Remove the “quietly” part and you are describing my group :stuck_out_tongue:

Stay cool :cool:

Thanks for the link. This still is causing me sleepless night however. If there are say 3 players, basically the one who opens their mouth first gets to dictate all the action unless the others are willing to Split the Party and add more turns to the Grind counter taking RAW. I think in TB careful GMing is required to make sure that ‘volunteering’ is shared amongst the players rather than the always defaulting to the quickest/loudest player(s).

As I see it, the players use to self-police when volunteering. I might be too rough as a GM (or at least my players think so :evil: ), but in my group players are really really worried about not failing any tests, so is not weird for them to strategize before taking up the dice.

Stay cool :cool:

If three players want to take three different actions to overcome one problem, three turns are expended by their efforts.

Players can plan on how to tackle an obstacle by using table chatter. Then a player can volunteer or the leader can speak up and let the GM know the plan.

Yeah, there are no traps here. No one is required to make a test until the Ob is announced (and then the player who volunteers is the leader). After that, they can still strategize and work out who is helping, using wises, whether or not to spend fate/persona, etc.

I think on reading said rules, our party is missing a ‘leader’ and a ‘mapper’. Because of this the GM has a hard time deciding when dice should be rolled and who exactly should be rolling them.

Still we are buy learners in the world of TB, so onwards and upwards to fame, glory… drat wrong game, to not being so covered in dung!