Nagging Resources question

Hiyas!

My players keep pestering me with these questions*, here they go:

Under the Guard Resources section, there’s the first & second questions:

For the first question: does the Recruit need the exact skills stated (weaving, smithing, or pottery) or just a trade skill (ie. could be armourer, brewer, etc. instead) to fulfill the Resources bump?

Ditto for the second question.

Thanks!
G

*Please, if they’ve already been answered, enlighten me with the thread!

G, I think the answer is Yes to your first question and No to your second.

I.E. Carpenter would count as a trade skill for the first Resources question. Carpenter would not count as smithing (or another option) for the second Resources question.

Thanks for the input!

I made a boo boo & need again to explain about the second question, to make sure there’s no margin of doubt::rolleyes:

Would the Recruit need his/her parents to fit exactly in the “smith” social niche (be smiths - have the “smith” skill) or could they be carpenters, boatwrights, armourers, etc. (all falling generally under the shadow of “smith”)?

Gugudada

Always take the most literal reading, if in doubt.

In contrast to Daniel, I’d say any trade-like skill would qualify for the first question, while only the three listed for the second would qualify.

This is puzzling. The language is very specific.

“In winter, do you still practice a trade like weaving…”
According to dictionary.com “like” means “bearing resemblance to”
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/like

In the second question, there are only four options. “Are your parents one of these four things?” And the section notes that your parents must be of the trade. This note refers, of course, to page 301 on which you choose your parents’ trade. Their trade is represented by a skill. The skill is noted next to your parents on your character sheet.

This is all in the book.

Didn’t I say that?

Sorry, I parsed your answer the wrong way.

It’s OK; I was having trouble parsing it myself just now.

Yay for Luke!

G

… and yet, I had the exact same question.

I don’t have the book handy, and don’t remember exactly which the professions were, but as I recall, I wasn’t entirely certain why these were particularly profitous. I mean, politician and merchant I understand - but, a smith, I think it was - why is a smith more wealthy than, say, an apiarist or an insectrist? I guess it could be because metalwork is harder for the mice than for a medieval community - but it wasn’t immediately obvious.

The “practicing a trade” was perfectly clear, though.

Fortunately, I have the exact same answer!

No, it’s because smiths were more important and made more than herdsmen in medieval communities. The occupations might seem the same to you, but they’re as different as a plumber and a grocery store checker. It’s also because they’ll tend to have portable wealth and value, whereas even a wealthy apiarist or insectrist will probably only have bees and bugs to pass on to a child. You can’t carry bees or bugs with you into the Guard, but you can carry the sort of inheritance/dowry/stake a smith passes to a child.

The four options are: Smiths, Polititians, Merchants, or Apiarists.

Smith vs Armorer is simple, as not everyone is a combatant, but Apiarist vs Insectrist is less obvious. Honey is a luxury item, and the richest farmers, historically, were the cane sugar and tobacco farmers.

Githe,

Please don’t post to threads that are more than a few weeks old.
http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/announcement.php?f=42

Please start a new thread with your question.