New Creature(s)

Having spent some time burning up a panserbjorn, and seeing a recent thread about it being a good idea to add monsters, I felt I should share. I’ve vaguely considered making these a full burnable Stock, but its been ages since I read the books.

Panserbjorn:
Wi B4 Pe B5 Ag B4 Sp B4 Po B8 Fo B7
(33 total)

Hea B6 Ref B4 MW B13 Ste B7 (Hes 6)
Su B4 Li B7 Mi B10 Se B11 Tr B12 MW B13

Stride 9, 7 whilst on two legs.

Skills:
Bear Etiquette B3
Armourer B5
Armour Training
Savage Attack B5
Hunting B2
Fire Hurler B3
Icy Wastes-wise B2
(16 skill points)

Traits:
Great Bear Form- Massive Stature, Stride 9/7, opposable thumbs. Really large. Poisonous liver. (9)
Deep Fur - ignores tests and penalties related to cold weather. After prolonged exposure to hot weather, +1Ob to all tests (5)
Bjorntroede (BearThink) - +2 Ob to be feinted against or lied to. Does not doubt, lie or scheme. Finds luxury distasteful. (6+3 from Pita)
Piercing Fangs- +2 Pow, VA1 WS1 Short fangs (11)
Stocky, Rending claws- +2 Pow, VA- WS X Short claws. Grants +2 D for stability (10)
(Total 44)

Stuff:
Plated Mail. SQ. Sized for a panserbjorn
Fire-Hurler. Stats as Heavy Crossbow but shoots blasts of fire. <or something else>

B1 I am panserbjorn, I will not allow those who dishonour our kin entry into my fortress.
B2 Never trust a human, or their traps.
B3 I am the strongest of the warriors, I shall find ways to prove this

I1 Tend my armour. Always.
I2 if my armour is in perfect condition, hunt for myself.
I3 Let the loser of a duel live.

All in all, extremely powerful but not overly so, I feel.

Please PEACH. And if you want to add your own creation, you can start here if you don’t want to make a new thread.

That’s gonna take a LOT of heavy crossbows to take down.

I find it scary that this thing would still probably fall to a skilled crossbow user (if it started at extreme). But you’re right, maybe a lower grade of armour would suit.

Wildly guessing here, but a Panzerbjorn is an armored bear monstrosity, right?

Panserbjørne are from the “His Dark Materials” trilogy. The name is literally “armored bear” and that’s what they are: intelligent bears known for their armor. They don’t interact much with humans, but they’re not really monsters.

At a glance that looks like a good stat block. I wouldn’t want to get in a fight or an argument with one, which covers my expectations.

Yeah. I think options to tweak them are adding Intimidation and/or another social skill. But I couldn’t really think what skill, other than potentially Command or Oratory, suited their forthright, honest, but extremely savvy style.

On another note: panserbjørn literally means “armoured bear”. I think panserbjørne is actually “armoured children”. A mistake in the first printing leads to the confusion, but Danish spelling doesn’t help.

Oh, I know that series. Golden Compass, right? Intimidation would probobly be good. Especially for the creatures nature, being a giant armored bear.