New GM + New Player game. Some questions.

You don’t get to “save up” leads/settings, unfortunately. After Archer her options are staying in the soldier setting, or leading to Outcast/Villager/Servitude. If she only wants Archer for the bow skill, why not take page instead, and buy bow with general points?

Alternatively:

Go Born -> Page -> Squire -> Knight. Treat Bow as part of “Appropriate Weapons” for a Knight, if it fits the culture. Use general points on Fletcher or just don’t sweat it.

Or go Born -> Page -> Squire -> Archer or similar. A newly-minted knight needn’t have the Knight LP. You’ll have to spend general skill points on courtly diversions.

If you want to play with your lady friend, there’s a simple trick to getting started with BW. Find out what she’s interested in, create a character in that world. Ask her to invent an enemy relationship for that character. Make the game the struggle between her character and her enemy. For extra bonus points, make the enemy’s actions unconscionable, but her motives sympathetic.

Does that make sense?
-L

You’ll all be sick of my thanks I’m sure, but you have been far more helpful than I expected :smiley:

Definitely makes sense. We’ve talked it over, and she says she expects a skyrim-style feel, which is kinda what I was going for anyway.
She has 3 NPCs to play off, one definitely being an antagonist. Not sure about the prince. We’ll find out as we go along :smiley:

I think these are a strong start. What you need is to get specific. Think of the little chunks that go into them (that Beliefs chapter from Adventure Burner goes into this stuff pretty well). Like, what are you going to do about them right now, you know?

Also, one thing I didn’t really understand until a couple of times playing is that beliefs are more player-level stuff than character-level. They represent the motivations of the protagonist that you the player want to put into the spotlight. Like, okay, in the game I’m playing with my wife, my character has a constant long-term motivation to overcome her curse. But there’ve been a few sessions where I took that belief off the list because it didn’t seem super-relevant to the stuff that was going on at the time, and put it back later when I wanted to pursue it some more again. My character didn’t stop wanting that stuff. But it wasn’t as important to us as players during those sessions, you know?

If you two have trouble turning “I spent a night with the prince” into any kind of actionable goal, I recommend this: make it an Instinct, like “Don’t tell anyone about my love affair with the prince!” You can play off that instinct by raising situations where the character is sorely tempted to reveal that information for emotional reasons, or suffers hardship that he could avoid if he revealed his romantic connection to someone powerful. But it can also lie dormant for a while without it being as much of a problem as having an inactive belief would be.

by doing what?

I will prove myself to Randall.
How and why?

And a secret belief - I spent a night with the prince.
therefore, I must…?

That’s not really a belief as much as a fact. I might ask, “what do you think the prince thinks about you now?” You might get more yardage out of a belief like “the prince loves me” or “my relationship with the prince is purely physical.” Those would be a lot of fun to challenge in play!