Online Play

Hi all

I recently pre-ordered from IPR and must say that it’s looking great. However, finding players is going to be a problem.

Is anyone interested in trying it out using one of the Virtual Tabletop software programs? I live in the UK so preferably in the evenings GMT.

MB

We play MG using Skype and an online dice roller, works fine.

To parrot PFischer - I too use Skype. I’d spend a little time looking for a dice roller you like as a group, I’m still looking.

I’ve not found any free Virtual tabletop that I like - but I’m picky.
We currently use MapTool -but I don’t Like it. There are a couple comerical one’s that are nice…but you’re forcing a cost onto your players…prolly folks you don’t really know yet. :wink:

PFischer - what online roller do y’all use? Ideally I’d love one built into(or plugin for) Skype.

This is hands down the best online dice roller I’ve seen (and I’ve seen and used quite a few with my preference for pbem boardgames as well):
http://www.metstuebchen.de/cgi-bin/DIESERVER/roll.pl

Every player uses the same “Code” and all the rolls are saved in a long list.

For Burning… games you can use the following command:
xdm4 (where x is the number of dice)

This way the roller counts the number of successes for you as well as listing the individual dice. Perfect!

Oh Very sweet!! :slight_smile:
xb6m4 - where x is the number of dice. this will handle open tests where sixes explode.
Nice Call PFischer!!

Murgh,
I’m getting ready to start a Saturday evening group using FG2; they’re all new RPers and it looks like we’ll be starting off with Mouse Guard. If you’re interested, drop me an email here or via FUM’s forums.

MJ (aka Waldo Pepper)

PM sent :slight_smile:

We had our character creation session this past Saturday and holy shit…did it rock. These guys have almost no RPing experience at all (one played Shadowrun about 10 years ago, another a little bit of D&D, and the third nothing at all) but they took right to the setting and the idea of creating concept based characters. I’ve also been working diligently at putting together a ruleset for Fantasy Grounds, including a workable character sheet, to make play a bit easier. The only part I haven’t figured out how I’m going to wing yet is the volley system but I’m working on it.

Personally I would be very interested in a pbp group. I think this game is very good for it because it encourages discussion before action and the secret way of revealing actions is very nice. It keeps some goon from running around and doing random things away from the PCs.

We had our second session tonight, using Skype and a different dice room. We had all sorts of supporting apps too - character sheets on Google docs that we could all browse together, a whiteboarding app to draw maps and to track Conflicts publicly…

…and I think we’re going to scrap all the toys.

All those programs are just… distracting! It was even tougher last week with a PDF copy of MG to add to the mix, but the plan for next time is to go low tech. Also, using non-verbal means to communicate really takes you out of the flow of things.

Skype for audio, roll physical dice ourselves, and use the whiteboard only for things that would be physical handouts in the game.

We had our second session tonight, using Skype and a different dice room. We had all sorts of supporting apps too - character sheets on Google docs that we could all browse together, a whiteboarding app to draw maps and to track Conflicts publicly…

…and I think we’re going to scrap all the toys.

All those programs are just… distracting! It was even tougher last week with a PDF copy of MG to add to the mix, but the plan for next time is to go low tech. Also, using non-verbal means to communicate really takes you out of the flow of things.

Skype for audio, roll physical dice ourselves, and use the whiteboard only for things that would be physical handouts in the game.

We had our third session tonight, our second session of the Millicent’s Stump game, and it was much more sane this time.

We had Skype, of course; I had the character sheets open on Google docs, but basically didn’t look at them, and we rolled physical dice, and against my own plan I had the rulebook PDF open to try to search as a last resort (I can never find rewards when I want to).

Andrew lamented not being able to see each others’ rolls, and now that we’re more familiar with the mechanics and using more one-roll obstacles I could see reintroducing it next time. Andrew also missed the shared whiteboard - he loves the toys! - and it was a bit of a problem because the players couldn’t see a map of the territories this time.

Anwyays, I’m encouraged, it feels like it went much more smoothly than the last session. At this rate, I feel confident that session 4 will be really great. Andrew and Kyle were both (Sanjeev couldn’t make it) game to continue, and I’m grateful for their patience and enthusiasm.

One thing I want to do is come up with a die-roll checklist. The players are dead keen with help, but I really need to remind them of a few things before they roll, especially if I can’t see them about to roll. (e.g. “Oh, I already rolled.”)

[ul]
[li]Do you want +1D for a Persona?[/li][li]Do you want to tap Nature for a Persona?[/li][li]Do you want to take a check?[/li][li]Will you get Help, be Wise, or do have Gear?[/li][/ul]

OMG, Ty! I had just commissioned a die roller like that from my programmer friend. XD Refund!

which vt should we use?

I hate to reserect an older thread, but I just got into Mouse Guard RPG. Is there anyone with an opening in a IRC/Skype/PbP game that I might get into?

Best,
The Bane

I run a game on Friday nights 8-10pm CST that could use another player.

pm me if interested

PM Sent. Perfect time for me for the most part. Which I will point out in further PMs.

Best,
The Bane

PM Sent. Perfect time for me for the most part. Which I will point out in further PMs.

Best,
The Bane

Hey all, looking for an online group who’s willing to allow a new player into their “patrol”. I haven’t had much experience, but I’m a quick learner and a pretty cool guy.