Player Checks?

Yeah, having played a bit now I’m thinking they need every single Fate and Persona point they can get their hands on. Some of these checks are just brutal.

Like recovering from being Injured and Sick on your own with that Ob 4 Health check…when you’re at -2 Health and most mice have only 4 Health to begin with.

2d6 +1d gear (healers kit?) +1d helper (anyone can help with Health checks) +2d (from tapping Nature) +1d? (per persona point you want to add) and then use a Fate point to reroll any 6’s…

7d6 and rerolling 6’s might get 4 successes if you’re lucky.

My players are not yet used to that. I actually have a hard time explaining that a high difficulty doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re gonna fail but that their gonna pay a price, get tired for example (as in real life).

I know what you mean but in those cases we run two sessions (or one and a half) in one meeting and earn points and checks twice that meeting. It’s a case of individual taste I guess.

The disadvantages from Injured and Sick don’t count for recovery.

Enjoy their griping when they spend an entire year sick or tired or with some other condition. Life in the Guard isn’t easy.

Ah ha, so it doesn’t. That’s a lot less evil then I was thinking.

If it was a matter of taste, then why did the rules specify session as something separate from the GM’s Turn-Players’ Turn cycle?

So that you can choose? Luke, yeah that one, himself has written that you can run one session per sitting or several sessions per sitting if I remember my forum readings right.

Of course it isn’t. Also I think it’s partly a matter of interpretation. Having the Sick condition constantly doesn’t necessarily mean your character is sick in the same way all the time but doesn’t get to recover and sick over and over in different diseases and catching cold after cold. In many systems we used before the character would recover if so just for a day and then fall sick again in something else. Then it’s easy to think that the mouse is sick in the same disease all the time. Think I has to point that out the next meeting.

One of my players was Angry for three entire sessions before he managed to finally roll enough successes to get rid of it. :slight_smile:

I think overall it cost him 4-5 checks and another player donated two more. Heh.
He was one savage little dude. Finally a few moments of peaceful meditation on the docks at Port Sumac allowed him to lift the veil of anger.

I guess we just see this differently. I think the rules are pretty clear that Fate and Persona only should be awarded once per session, and this contributes to the overall feel of Mouse Guard at the table.

Well put. After a certain point, it’s more the mouse is suffering from exhaustion or weariness brought on by guard life than the specific condition on the sheet.

OK I know this is being nit picky but…exhaustion and weariness would fall under being Tired.

Come on, Scip. I’m talking about worn-down-by-life, give-up-the-Guard-and-go-home kind of feelings. Something that might get roleplayed out or lead to a character choosing retirement during the winter. Not “Tired.”

He’s talking about effects carrying on for multiple sessions and you’re saying being Sick for multiple sessions could represent being “worn-down-by-life.” That would better be represented by having the Tired condition or possibly even Angry condition for multiple sessions.

But if you’re worn down by the way your life is you easily get sick and again and again which in Mouse Guard would be represented by the Condition Sick.

I think we can stop this nit picking, it’s very easy to slip into petty things, meanings and unconstructive ‘‘discussions’’.

It’s very easy for a guardmouse to suffer a condition for multiple sessions. Depending on your group’s pace, this could me a year of in-game time. Even though we’re playing a game of fantasy mice, this stretches verisimilitude for some players.

My mouse is Hungry. This means neither that he does not eat anything until he removes the Hungry condition, nor that any ol’ meal will cure his hunger. What it does mean is that until he catches a break and gets that good, home-cooked meal from his family or whomever, he’s Hungry.

Once, I spent two weeks backpacking in the Rocky Mountains. I ate every day, but when I got back to base camp, I was Hungry. And Tired, even though I slept every night. These are the kinds of things persisting conditions may represent, and the kinds of examples I give my players when they wonder how it is their character has been Sick for an entire year. Not a lot of respite to be had when out on the road, keeping safe the Mouse Territories.

Yeah, also the thread has completely derailed. I’d suggest a new thread about conditions.