Realm Guard: Rangers of the North (v1.2)

right, i read that, but can i use my MG character? i can change my skills to fit RG would that be acceptable?

Not quite. Your Nature rating, Resources rating and Circles ratings would change. Some skills might, as well. Traits would remain the same, as would Health and Will.

ok thanks

Okay, so… unlike Mouseguard, there will be much more common instances of a Dunadan using a shield along with another weapon, instead of as both defense AND offense. For individual “versus” Fighting tests, that’s probably not a big deal – the relevant gear just adds dice. (Sword + sheild + chainmail… +3d on a simple ‘versus’ fight?)

But I’m wondering about scripted conflicts. Can you get the shield bonus for your defend action, then reap the benefits of your spear when you attack in the same scripted series?

I see arguments that can go either way, so I figured I’d ask. Let me know if this should go into another forum area, but it seemed the sort of thing we should work out for this hack, first.

I’d say not. Seems easier to leave it as is and say in an exchange, either you’re fighting defensively with benefit of your shield or offensively with benefit of your weapon. Since fights don’t log every “I attack, you defend” sequence of the action, there’s no need to add the “realism” of being able to attack and defend simultaneously.

-L

Yuppers. The big thing for me in writing the hack was: Don’t change what ain’t broken.

The rules for switching weapons between actions is as per the Mouse Guard RPG. (Don’t have it in front of me, so can’t give a page reference.)

Oh bugger: the rule’s right there on page 119: “Choose your Weapon” - I completely missed that on reading the book, though I’ll comfort myself by saying I would probably have gone that way with it anyway.

Excellent, and thanks.

Also: damn good book you have here, Luke - nice and thorough, provided I actually NOTICE the perfectly clear rules.

Oh bugger: the rule’s right there on page 119: “Choose your Weapon” - I completely missed that on reading the book, though I’ll comfort myself by saying I would probably have gone that way with it anyway.

Excellent, and thanks.

Also: damn good book you have here, Luke - nice and thorough, provided I actually NOTICE the perfectly clear rules.

Sorry, I missed this question, doycet. To be honest, I’ve never done a straight-out Fighter versus test in Mouse Guard. Whenever a fight has broken out, it’s been a conflict for our group. I’d say you add anything appropriate: Anything that gives a +D or +s. As to how armour would work… you’d probably remove a die or success (depending on armour worn) from your opponent.

The subject of Fighter versus tests might be worth splitting out into its own thread.

Hi Rafe,

I agree that, for a straight Mouse Guard game, Fighter versus tests would be pretty darn rare - fights are usually too big a deal NOT to make them a full-blown conflict.

I was thinking of it entirely from the point of view of a Realm Guard game, where (for instance) a single orc or two might be done as a straight versus test - something to be got 'round at the risk of a condition (injured) or twist (he alerts others) - maybe as part of series of versus tests involving Fight, Scout, and others.

I suppose that’s a bit of thinking borrowed from Heroquest and Shadow of Yesterday, where ‘little’ fights don’t warrant more than a single roll. Mouse Guard doesn’t have too many fights a mouse would think of as ‘small’, but perhaps a Ranger might. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s definitely do-able, and would certainly make sense if time is running out and the players have yet to get into their turn. Hell, the twist resulting from failure could be a full-blown fight with reinforcements, or a troll or some other nasty, that the band was attempting to avoid! :slight_smile: