Realm Guard: Rangers of the North (v1.4)

Just on the topic of Realm Guard itself, seems some word is leaking out! Coolness.

I’d be interested to hear if others have seen word of the hack elsewhere.

Man, you’ve put a boatload of work into this, it looks fantastic.

I am running a RG:RotN session tonight, and I absolutely will be using a Natural Order chart. I think the idea of scaling conflicts, and knowing that there are things out there that are just too big to take on directly, is essential to the system and the atmosphere of the stories.

I am using the idea that the chart is a combination of size, power, and un-naturalness.

By the way, no one put Ents in their charts.

[ul]
[li]Bats, mice, and other vermin
[/li][li]Wolves, Goblins, Mirkwood Spiders, Hobbits, Horses
[/li][li]Men, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Wargs
[/li][li]Cave and Hill Trolls, Uruk-Hai, Great Bats, Nazgul’s Beasts, Wights, Brown Bears
[/li][li]Olag-Hai, Great Eagles, Istari, Ents
[/li][li]Oliphants, Shelob
[/li][li]Balrogs, Dragons
[/li][/ul]

Please, please, please, tell us how it goes and any bumps in the road. Thanks B-D

By the way, no one put Ents in their charts.

[ul]
[li]Bats, mice, and other vermin
[/li]> [li]Wolves, Goblins, Mirkwood Spiders, Hobbits, Horses
[/li]> [li]Men, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Wargs
[/li]> [li]Cave and Hill Trolls, Uruk-Hai, Great Bats, Nazgul’s Beasts, Wights, Brown Bears
[/li]> [li]Olag-Hai, Great Eagles, Istari, Ents
[/li]> [li]Oliphants, Shelob
[/li]> [li]Balrogs, Dragons
[/li]> [/ul]

Thanks for the pick up! I’ll keep an eye out for Rafe since he’s got the source files (and has honestly done an incredible job with this whole project).

I’ll be posting v1.5 in a few minutes, with some additions (including the Order Chart).

I’ll be recording it for my podcast, so I will link to the post with the audio file as soon as I have it edited - by Friday morning at the latest.

That’s great! Thanks so much.

Rafe - thanks for the new edition. This is what is fun about RPG hacks; people start a thread about a facet of the system, and while I am playing a session of the game, the author is publishing a new document.

S&S - about my first session: unusual for my experience being in game sessions via Skype, this session was plagued with technical problems. More importantly, one player had a lot of problem with the ideas of being unable to act outside of a scope of a conflict until it was resolved, as in “I don’t understand why we can’t stop the chase scene and start fighting the trolls.”

Most important was that two of the three players came from traditional RPG backgrounds, but loved the resolution system and Conditions, and thought the change in approach was very refreshing. I have some hope that this one-shot will turn into something longer.

Couldn’t you go straight to a fight if you wanted to? Just let them know their conditions for ‘failing’ the chase and start wacking on them. Tired and injured maybe since it was a complete loss.

Or… Your players could see if they could use the chase to lure it into a better battlefield. Maybe if they win well enough it would be tired or injured before that fight rather than them. Hmmmm, choices choices.

Yeah, I’ve seen this cropping up a few times now for MG (and RG by association). The mentality for needing to see conflicts through is a kind of a player buy-in sorta thing.

Did you run The Trouble In the High Pass mission? It sounds like it. How’d it work out? As far as I know, you’re the only one who’s done that. If you have any feedback on the mission itself, please post it here or in the v1.5 thread! I’d love to hear about it.

Looking forward to listening to the podcast!

This post was moved to the Realm Guard v1.5 thread to avoid confusion.

Here’s a link to the post with the Realm Guard session. Character creation is a separate audio file, since I felt its appeal was more limited. Even if you don’t listen to the whole thing, please listen to a few minutes in the middle. I will say that we had a lot more in the way of connection and technical problems …

Downloading now!

Can I have the source files for Realm Guard?