Realm Guard: Rangers of the North (v1.5)

Ummm… yes, they should all be in there. I’ll double-check when I have a chance.

Do a google image search for “middle-earth map.” There’s one site in particular that has a few good ones: detailed, more aesthetic and clear, big, small, etc.

You have factors for Rider, and some new effects/factors for Lore Master, but, in my opinion, the replaced skills need factors also.

Good point. If I feel they don’t need alteration from the skill they’re replacing, I’ll note something like “see X skill, p. Y in the Mouse Guard RPG.”

Hi Rafe

I found a few typos during a recent read through:

[ul][li]page 7, first paragraph: ‘Regions not spoken for are those under the ruler of others than King Elessar (such as Rohan).’ ‘ruler’ -> ‘rule’
[/li][li]page 7, ‘Location/Structure’ section: ‘… rests atop the Tower of Ecthalion.’ ‘Ecthalion’ -> ‘Ecthelion’
[/li][li]page 7, ‘Government’ section: ‘Now, Elessar (Aragorn) sits the throne…’ ‘sits the’ -> ‘sits on the’
[/li][li]page 7, ‘Osgiliath’ section, last paragraph: ‘Osgiliath also held a palatir’ ‘palatir’ -> ‘palantir’ (?)
[/li][li]page 11, ‘Weathertop’ section: ‘The Weather Hills were the site of a final stand of the small realm of Cardolan’ ‘… a final stand…’ -> ‘…the final stand…’
[/li][li]page 12, ‘Dol Guldur’ section: ‘…Sauron used this fortress as a base to regain his strenght’ ‘strenght’ -> ‘strength’
[/li][li]page 13, ‘Lothlorien’ section: ‘He also settling east of…’ ‘settling’ -> ‘settled’
[/li][li]page 14, ‘Isengard’ section: ‘Orthanc itself was built from four piers of an unknown black stone…’ ‘piers’ -> ‘pieces’ (?)
[/li][li]page 25, ‘Trolls’ section footnote: ‘Torogs also hoard treasure…’ I believe that a single Troll is a ‘Torog’ and the plural is ‘Tereg’, so ‘Torogs’ -> ‘Tereg’. What a nerd :slight_smile: kthnxbai!
[/li][li]page 39, the ‘Erothas’ character: the Circles and Resources ratings are not there (or are not displaying in Acrobat Reader).[/ul]
[/li]Other small-fry stuff that might improve the package would be:

[ul][li]A list of common male and female Dunedan names
[/li][li]Incorporating the customised character sheet within the PDF
[/li][li]Providing a hyperlink to the permanent location of said character sheet. (Is the sheet on the wiki yet? <checks/> Not yet.)
[/li][li]Including a page that links to resources such as maps of Middle Earth, Middle Earth wikis and the like, for the convenience of oafs like myself who are uneducated in Middle Earth lore
[/li][li]Including a hyperlink to the ‘official’ thread on these forums where the latest version of RG can be found
[/li][li]The PDF title of the text - as accessed through File|Properties… (CTRL+D) - is ‘Ashes of War Campaign Guide’, which looks to be a leftover from some earlier document. I was trying to find out what version of the text I had since I ‘helpfully’ stripped out the version info when I saved the PDF. On that note…
[/li][li]Include the version of the text on the title/acknowledgements page
[/li][li]Natures for Black Numenoreans and Rohirrim might be nice inclusions. Their Natures would be different to the Nature of regular Men, and within the scope of the game[/ul]
[/li]Cheerio
Pete

Yikes! Just realized I haven’t touched RG in ages. Thanks for the catches, Pete!! Much appreciated.

As for the character sheet, not sure how to do that as I export to PDF from InDesign and I think damiller used Word. Not sure, as he hasn’t responded to any PMs re: the character sheet.

Sorry Rafe

I forgot about the PMs. I don’t remember what you asked, but when I worked on them I used Photoshop and just saved them as PDFs.

d :smiley:

Aha! There’s the man!

Hmmm… so yeah. Not sure how we could work that into the main PDF, then. Thoughts?

damiller: Maybe we could meet via Skype sometime in the near future and go over some of the small things I mentioned in my PMs? First, I’ll have to work out a new Conflict actions chart to take Dunedain Nature into account… Let me know if you’re cool with that.

I used Adobe Acrobat Standard 9 to append the character sheet to the latest Realm Guard text.

You can download it here. (~8Meg PDF.)

Cheers
Pete

Great stuff, Pete! Thanks. Once (if?) v1.6 has been finished, mind if I fire it your way so you can append the character sheet to that version? v1.6 will have most of the serious revisions in it.

sure my skype is d.d.miller I am on most of most days so call me when you get a chance.

d :smiley:

Kudos. This LOOKs great! I’m looking forwRd to reading over this.

Awesome. Think I’ve got you on there already. Mine’s patrickriegert, should you not have me added to your contacts. I will try tomorrow, because tonight’s a late work night for me. Go go Gadget Senate committees…

Sure thing. My direct email address is indi.pete@googlemail.com. I could whip up a form-fillable version of said character sheet if folks wanted that too.

Playing Realm Guard this weekend at the con, AP report to follow, cheers
Pete

Some more typos that I noticed:

[ul][li]page 38, “Enemy” section: ‘of the Enemey’ -> ‘of the Enemy’[/ul]
[/li]Places of Note doesn’t mention Rivendell. Intentional?

Further coverage of the Dunadan Nature would be really good. By that I mean some examples of using Tradition, Family and Grief.

Cheers
Pete

I’m sorry, I haven’t read the Realm Guard yet (still trying to wrap my head around the vanilla MG), but from what I understand, RG is like Lord of the Rings hack of MG, right?

If so, then how does RG deal with magic? Can a RG character do magic (arcane/divine)? Or is RG just Fighters and Rangers?

Yep, close enough. It’s a Middle Earth hack really, 'cos it is set after the events of the Lord of the Rings.

Just Rangers.

Cheers
Pete

This made me think of this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Númenor:

For a time, Tolkien considered writing a sequel to The Lord of the Rings, called The New Shadow, which would have taken place in Eldarion’s reign, and in which Eldarion deals with his people turning to evil practices; however, Tolkien later dropped the idea.

Might be neat to play Aragorn’s son’s rangers as the new shadow rises.

All the links to Realm Guard character sheets seem to be down, I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I’ll see if I can have it uploaded to the wiki. I’ve heard from others that mediafire has intermittent downtime, which is annoying.

I just read through this and I gotta say I am impressed! It’s excellent! I want to run this at my next convention now. Thanks for all the work you all put into this, it’s a fantastic little supplement to an already amazing game/system.