Right of Mortal

I’ve been confused by Right of Mortal since I first read it in BWR, and I’m still confused in BWG.

The text in BWG (p487) says “Any damage that registers on or to the right of the character’s mortal wound tolerance is considered a fatal blow. If a character has a mortal wound tolerance of B10 and he takes … a B13, he is killed. In fact, even a … B10 would lay him low. See the section on mortal wounds and Recovery for more on surviving this.”

My questions:

1. Is a Right-of-Mortal wound (B11 or worse in the example above) any different to a Mortal wound?

2. If so, does RoM mean that the character is definitely dead and cannot survive by spending a Persona point (to survive the wound, as he could for a Mortal)?

3. If not, why is there a separate named rule for Right of Mortal?

Rob

There is no PTGS category more severe than a mortal wound. Without the Will to Live, a mortal wound is death. Synonyms like “fatal blow” and “is killed” refer to receiving a Mortal Wound. The character may still spend a Persona point for Will to Live and attempt recovery.

(There is a separate rule for “right of Mortal” because the general rule is “if a wound falls between two tolerances, it counts as the left or lesser wound.” So two additional rules are needed, for those wounds which do not fall between two tolerances: left of Superficial, and right of Mortal.)

Thanks, that’s clear now. I think the extra text, and the use of the synoyms, is what confused me.

Perhaps a future version of the rules could cut down the RoM text to “Any damage that registers on or to the right of the character’s mortal wound tolerance is treated as a mortal wound.” The last sentence (“See the section on mortal wounds and Recovery…”) could also be retained, but moved to the end of the Mortal Wound heading just before, thus communicating succintly that a Mortal does not definitely lead to death.

Rob

Well, a Mortal Wound does definitely lead to death if you don’t spend the Persona. It’s a secion that either makes perfect sense or is a bit confusing (I think it depends on which eye you squint with when you read RPG texts), which is something that . I think the only text change needed to clarify this would be to explicitly call out that a Right-of-Mortal injury is the same as a mortal wound while keeping the synonyms because more reminders that you’re dead without spending a presona point is a good thing.

On reflection, I think the root confusing thing is that there are several sentences under the RoM heading which in fact apply to all mortal wounds. The RoM rule itself can be expressed in a single sentence - “Any damage that registers on or to the right of the character’s mortal wound tolerance is treated as a mortal wound.” The rest of the text is part of the Mortal Wound rule.

Maybe we could propose “Any damage that registers on or to the right of the character’s mortal wound tolerence is treated as a fatality”.

Ok, i just couldn’t help myself…

Bellysarius