Taxing Resources

also it’s worth pointing out that your Resources and Circles are advanced automatically when your guardmouse is promoted, so there’s that.

No, they’re not comparable. Again, it comes back to the recursive nature of the depletion problem. If you’re fighting in MG, you’re going to get better at it, because of the way the P/F system works. (Sure, you can get killed in a Fight conflict, but it’s very rare, and everyone buys into it equally.) Same with every single other skill and attribute in the game, except Resources.

As for the GM being sensitive: sure, of course the GM should never deliberately be a dick, and neither should the players, but it’s questionable game design to present me, as GM, with a completely valid mechanical option, equal in status to the others available to me in that circumstance, but that is often a dick move to invoke. There’s really nothing else that even comes close. Sure, going straight to Injury or Sickness could be comparably bad, but there’s good textual guidance surrounding the use of those more severe Conditions.

Honestly, I’d be fine with the depletion option if it was a player choice. But I don’t like games where my relationship to the game’s mechanics is mediated by the GM’s whim. And, conversely, as GM I want to be able to take the kid gloves off, and not have to pull my punches, when we’re talking about the game and its mechanics. Of course I have no problem with the idea that I should be sensitive to the mood of the group and stuff like that, but that’s not really what I’m talking about here.

A lot of that stuff sounds like twists and conditions, which implies that the GM is not invoking the Taxing option.

Sure, but the entire game works that way. I’m talking about the specific mechanics involved with Resources here, not the overall spirit of how failure works in MG, which I’m both comfortable with and really like.

Matt

Yes absolutely. That’s the only time I’ve ever actually seen Resources advance. And if that’s how it’s supposed to work, then fine, but why not say so in the book?

Matt

It works exactly how it says it’s supposed to work.

It talks about that very thing in the Winter Session section when it talks about promotion. And I have to disagree with you that Resource nuking and death aren’t comparable. They’re both terrible outcomes (though, obviously, death is much moreso) and they are things that the GM MAY do, not SHOULD do, like Twists and Conditions.

Also the examples I put out would all, from a “fiction” perspective, make it more difficult for you to get what you want, which is reflected as Resources reduction. The only reason I included so many examples was that there were questions about how to incorporate the mechanics into the story.