The difficulty curve... what in the world is it?

This really is so helpful. Does the role matter? Roll. A D&D-style “can you light a fire” proficiency check is not what the game is about.

[i]Frodo is shivering from the morgul wound.

“I light a fire to warm his spirit.”

Success means he recovers slightly, Failure condition is that he goes unconscious.[/i]

Does that seem like a good test?

Or you could decide that Morgul-wounds are beyond such mundane healing as a fire. Whether it gets lit or not doesn’t make any difference to Frodo, but doing so is part of Sam’s character. So Sam doesn’t roll, he just lights the fire. This has the merit of not bogging the game down if more significant events and rolls are coming and that’s the fun part everyone’s itching to see.

Either way is acceptable!

Aha! I finally found it! Ages later…

Page 78 of the monster burner: “With five dice for skill tests, characters can routinely pass obstacle 3 tests.”

Except, they only have a 50% chance of success. That’s not routine. Without taking extra time, forks, help, etc, that’s bad odds of success.

Just wanted to put that out there :stuck_out_tongue: (I’ve basically got a handle on it now, but when I noticed that, I had to share.)

It’s not “always” or “mostly pass obstacle 3 tests.” It’s “routinely,” which is true! Half the time is indeed routine. Not reliable, true, but not surprising when it happens.

I think that just indicates taking extra time, FoRKing and help are all part of the routine.

The “Routine” isn’t just some regular task. Its a regular task that is done under pressure and in dire circumstance.

The trick about BW is that you never fail a regular test. This is because the goal isn’t “winning” and having everything turn out the way you wanted, but the furthering of the characters and plot. So you must keep in mind that for every 50% chance of failure, at the very least part of that failure is more like success as it opens the doors for interesting artha and trait gain, if not the twists in plot that make this game so much fun.