Two Engagement Tests Questions

I’m having some confusion suddenly concerning engagment with multiple combatants when it pertains to multiple intents. Please assist me with this. I couldnt find a direct answer in other posts.

A Knight walks into a thrown room where the King is being Protected by a King’s Guard. Its time for Fight! They roll the engagement test. The Knight wanting to engage the King, the King wanting to disengage and run!, the King’s Guard wanting to engage the Knight.

The Knight rolls 2 successes
The King rolls 3 successes
The King’s Guard rolls 1 success.

To me this seems that the King wins the engagement and is able to escape (per his intent), and that the King’s Guard engages with the Knight. Does this leave the knight disengaged, meaning he cannot fight? As you must be engaged to fight…OR…is the Knight’s 2 successes counted against the Kings Guard, and he engages at advantage, while the King escapes?

Question two basically is does this mean this speed test is some weird ‘initiative’ where the winner gains there intent first? How does that leave the odd guy out? (the Knight from the example?)

I guess both boil down to, what happens with the Knight that did not engage?

I don’t know much about the throne room, but I’d say the Knight side-stepped the guard, who was too slow off his mark. Nevertheless, the King was faster.

Depending on the throne room and the specifics of their intents, the King might be behind his throne, he might have dodged the knight and is now running out of the main entry; he might be getting away down a secret corridor.

You can disengage when vying for position after the first exchange, but you can’t disengage on the engagement roll. Basically, if one person is engaging and the other is trying to run, you don’t have a Fight yet. You may have a Speed test to see whether the knight can actually close and engage.

If they were vying, you the king successfully disengages. The knight doesn’t get his intent. There’s no opposition to the guard’s intent but you still compare all the positioning rolls and the knight won, so the guard engages at the knight’s advantage. He can probably keep the knight off the king for a while but he’s going to regret it.

This is a tricky example because in general I’m not sure that engaging the king is a valid intent. I’d be curious how the knight intends to get around all the guards without getting cut down.

At the very least I think the Knight would have some sort penalty or something in ignoring the guards in the way to try to get to the king.

Another option would be to have either a versus test of some sort or bloody versus test with the guards first and see how that falls out, then move on to dealing with the king vs the knight if the king is still around and didn’t get away from some failure condition or something.

Otherwise Wayfarer has it. If someone tries to engage with you and you’re engaging with someone else, you still compare rolls. If you beat both you have the advantage over both. If you lose one, then someone has advantage compared to you and you have the advantage compared to the other person.

It’s not time for Fight!

“I pull my Sword and go for the King!”
“I Stand between my liege and this attacker”

Thats a test. Maybe speed v Sword, or Sword v. sword. If you win, we can move to engagement with the King.

Also, this seems awfully familiar. I think we had a thread with almost precisely this setup from 2-3 years back, but my search fu failed me.

oh, and absent any other info, I’d let the guard in on the engagement roll but with disadvantage from the failed test.

Thanks for all the responses. It helped me think it out and brought to light a few issues I was having.

And yes its true that this example was based on a post from a couple years back. Sometimes I browse through old forums to just catch up on rules. I saw the example a couple months back and had been running it through my mind, but my search fu also failed me and I was unable to locate it when looking for it.

I think the problem with my example is expecting to jump directly into fight instead of breaking the initial intents down into separate intents.

If I could have a follow-up question just to make sure I understand?

You dont have to actively engage an opponent only be engaged by an opponent in order to enter melee with them? Is that correct. So basically the odd man out in a 2v1 would roll one speed roll to position/engage and that one roll would could vs each of engaging opponents, even though he is only ‘actively’ engaging one of them?

Right?

Correct. So basically, in Fight!, you can’t keep someone from stepping up to you. If they want to engage with you, they engage with you. Barring narrative constraints.

Oh! How about a real example from a game a couple months back.

We had 3 PCs: K, F, & G.
Two NPCs: P & A

K: I want to engage P
F: I want to engage P
A: I want to engage K
G: I want to engage A
P: I want to engage K

So:
K makes one roll and comparing it to A & P.
F makes a roll comparing it to P.
A makes a roll comparing it to K & G
G makes a roll comparing it to A
P makes a roll comparing it to K & F

Anyone that rolls higher than someone their engaging with has the advantage for that volley. So you could have something where F has advantage over P, P has advantage over K, and K has advantage over A.

It can get pretty tricky to keep track of sometimes, but the scripting sheets do help with that.

A Fight only starts when, well, a fight starts. You can’t just declare you’re fighting and roll initiative; that’s not how it works. The engagement roll happens when the participants have engaged. That can mean everyone’s willing, or everyone who’s not willing is cornered or overtaken, but it can’t just be unilateral and unenforced.

Once you’re in a fight, the only way to prevent someone from engaging is to script Disengage when vying for position. That can keep anyone and everyone off of you. If you’re trying to fight someone, though, you’re leaving yourself open to fight everyone. If you’ve got a halberd and they’ve got shivs you might be able to hold everyone off at your advantage, but you can’t pick and choose who’s in the fight with you.

If it’s 2 on 2 it gets muddier. You script to engage one of them. Okay; can you then take a swing at the other one, or are you locked into your engagement target? I’m not sure I’ve seen any final, definitive answer. My gut instinct is that you’re engaged with everyone in the melee, with advantage determined by everyone’s relative tests.