Weather Twists and Weather Watcher: What the fudge?

That’s true, but the GM can make the weather better as well as worse. Like the snow stops, clearing the mountain pass for the invading weasel horde ;).

personally, I think the GM should also be able to improve the weather outside of the failure mechanics, just like they can say other things that happen that arent twists. But, that drift isnt supported in the text. Because weather getting worse during the mission ups the drama and tension.

That still doesn’t mean the weather can’t get better.

Example: It’s pouring rain and some guard mice are hoping to use the rainy, overcast sky as cover to get past some weasels. Some roll or another fails, so the GM introduces a weather-based twist: the rain and clouds pass as the sun comes out, making it more difficult to get by undetected.

So, ok, yeah – a Twist that makes the weather better but in some way makes things harder on the players’ mice is still a Twist, so that makes sense.

I also feel like the GM should have more control over the weather. However, I guess if I wanted more control over the frequency of weather changes (including giving the players more immediate control when they pass a WW test), I could just run two or more short sessions back-to-back.

Remember, if the players have made a successful Weather Watcher test that session and the GM later uses a Weather Twist, he must change the weather to that specified by the player during the WW test.

The incentive for the GM, even if he’s making things better for the players, is that each Weather Twist counts toward advancing the Season.

Well, yes, but giving the mice a nice onshore breeze and blue skies after a failure just doesn’t feel twisty enough to me :wink:

However, I don’t see much of a problem with introducing an animal obstacle with “The clouds part and sunshine washes the meadow in dazzling color…and then the badger attacks!” The weather’s just incidental color in that example.

Though, I must admit that I’ve never made things easier on the mice myself.

Cool Thor, but WHEN can players make the WW test. GM turn or player’s turn. That is the real question for me.

Player’s turn, unless specifically called for in the GM’s turn (i.e. via a specific obstacle OR a conflict)

The GM can call for a Weather Watcher test during the GM’s Turn if he feels it would help resolve one of the Obstacles he’s presented. Or, the players could suggest testing Weather Watcher to resolve an obstacle or part of an obstacle presented by the GM. If the GM agrees, they can test it. Otherwise, they test it during the Player’s Turn.

Could i test Weather watcher to maneuver my sailing ship?

The way I understand the RAW is this:
Mode 1: you spend a check in the Player Turn to decide what the next weather twist will be. If you make it, it’s true, and you can then prep for it.
Mode 2: the GM has you roll it to avoid being unhappily affected by weather as an obstacle in the GM turn
Mode 3: you use it in a journey conflict to avoid weather based delays

I wouldn’t allow it for maneuvering the ship.
I’d allow a weather watcher roll as a linked test - you know the winds based upon the weather and that helps maneuver.

Adding a sailing skill is a non-issue… just do it! But note that boatcrafter specifically includes smaller boat operation.