When does GM give consequences of failure? Before or after ob?

This might be a silly question: when does the GM tell the player the consequences of failure?

After the ob is stated (and therefore more or less after the action is already locked in)?

Or before the ob is stated (giving the player a chance to modify their task if they don’t like the failure consequences they hear)?

I can’t find a definitive answer.

3 Likes

After announcing the obstacle, as the players move to pick up the dice. Don’t get the habit of giving the players a menu of options that they can scroll through. Wait until they commit to success before giving them the cost of failure. They can still check out of the test, but this process creates a better relationship to risk.

8 Likes

Thanks Luke!

A chunk of this modification could well be covered by asking for situational modifiers to the dice pool anyway; for example:

Player: “I walk up to the gate guard and punch him into unconsciousness using Brawling”
GM: “If you fail, he gets you in a joint lock.”
Player: “I don’t like that: I’d like to approach subtly so he isn’t prepared, then knock him out.”

Could be modeled with:

Player: “I walk up to the gate guard and punch him into unconsciousness using Brawling”
GM: “If you fail, he gets you in a joint lock.”
Player: “Can I have +1D because I have Stealth/Acting/&c so he isn’t actively ready for danger?”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.