Where can I find Burning Thac0?

Hey all,

I’m a long time D&Der and have recently read the BW Gold book. I’m very impressed and want to try it out with my D&D group. I’ve heard around the webernet that someone has compiled some optional rules that give BW some of the D&D feel called Burning Thac0. I’ve checked and found it on the wiki, but it says the file no longer exists for download.

Does anyone know where I can find it? Also, any other materials or posts that you think might help make the transition would be appreciated!

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Humafan,

Doing a search for “burning thac0” will generate a lot of posts and discussion, but the best place to start would be with [Workshop] BW the Old School Way. I believe a lot of what ended up in the missing PDF was distilled from that thread and a few others that occurred around the same time. Feel free to post specific questions to the forum, and I am sure a lot of people will chime in with their experiences of playing Burning Wheel in that style.

Cheers.

What Daniel said. I don’t think there was anything in that PDF that is actually on these forums somewhere (mostly anyway).

The pdf was just a cleaned up version of all the forum discussions. But pretty much what you need to know is in Gold. Except for maybe Theldon’s Rift in the Adventure Burner which is a great example of how to old school it up. FYI If you want it it’s on the BW wiki.

Of course Torchbearer might be worth a look.

ara

Here’s the Burning Thac0* pdf off of the wiki. If you tried to grab it between about a month ago and last Friday, it was unavailable due to reasons** It’s written for BWR but barring any specific stat blocks should be fully applicable to any edition of Burning Wheel.
http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/images/BurningTHAC0.pdf

I’d argue that while everything you need is in Burning Wheel Gold, there’s a lot of clarification and handling suggestions in the Burning Thac0 PDF that are only in BWG if you have the natural inclination to run a classic adventuring game and buy-in from your players to stick within that fairly narrow framework.

Cheers!

(*Thac0 appears to be a legal word in my spell check dictionary, I’m not sure whether to be excited or frightened).
(**Reasons being - I did some cleanup and broke stuff in the process).