2 Monsters for our next game

I don’t want the thread title to have the monsters just yet because at least 1 player often browses this forum.

Bret! Don’t look!

Alright. Critique welcome…

Hell Hound

Might: 3
Nature: 4
Nature Descriptors: Hunting, Stalking, Serving Master

Dispositions: Kill 5, Drive Off 6, Flee 10, all else, Nature + Nature roll

Fight Weapons: Breath (1s attack), Wreathed in Flames (1s Defend)

Chase Weapons: Smells Sin (+2D Maneuver), Brutal Jaws (+2D Attack)

(If hunting in a pack, +2D for disposition roll)

Armor: None

Instinct: Serve a greater evil.

Next up, the Owlbear…

Hmmm…Hunting and Stalking seem very similar as nature descriptors.

I guess the first thing to ask is what’s your concept? Are you trying to translate the classic D&D Hell hound or are you for a mythical version? Wild Hunt? Garmr? Something else?

Got those descriptors from the Dire Wolf in the book.

Definitely a classic D&D Hell Hound.

OK. In that case, you might consider bumping its Might from 3 to 4.

The ones in the Expert Set are really nasty–they have 3 to 7 hit dice. They’re impervious to normal fire. They’re vulnerable to cold. They have a super nasty breath weapon that does 1d6 damage per hit die (so between 3d6 and 7d6). They like to hang out near volcanoes, deep in dungeons and near fire-loving creatures like fire giants. They’re Chaotic, of course, cunning and highly intelligent. Later editions will tell us that they’re fiends that can understand Infernal but not speak.They also have a 75 percent chance per round of detecting an invisible person or object, presumably due to a highly attuned sense of smell, though it doesn’t actually say why.

Maybe keep Stalking as a descriptor and instead of Hunting, take something like Terrifying? What do you think?

If you want to inject a little folkloric element, hell hounds are often associated with guarding, whether the gates to the underworld (Cerberus or Garmr), churches (Church Grims), women on their way home (Black Shucks), or legendary treasures (Garmr again).

Stalking, Terrifying, Guarding?

Sounds great.

It is going to be sleeping at the feet of its dead lord, a chaos knight. The knight is dead, restful and content but the hound is there ready to pounce.

The stone of the sarcophagus will be warm to the touch.

Inspired by thestone hounds curled by the feet of the dead knights in the cloister’s tombs.

Great! On to dispositions. Right now it looks like the hardest thing to do when you encounter this fiend is to run away. Driving it away from whatever it’s guarding is the next most difficult. And killing it is hard but not too bad. Is that your intent? Given its purpose, I’d be tempted to make driving it away from its master’s side the most difficult thing, but I want to make sure I understand what you’re going for.

I thought that running from one of these things would be really difficult to do, as it is used to being set upon prey on the run and not used to prey that can stand its ground and fight.

I’m thinking that they are not bred to stand by their masters but to be set upon those who are running from their masters.

Fair enough. What about other conflicts? Can they be banished/abjured? Can they be captured? Convinced? Tricked?

Banished and Abjured…yes! They are definitely hellish outsiders, dogs from hell itself.

Convinced and tricks…no, these are not talky guys.

OK, great. What about it’s Nature rating? Do you see this as more of a monster that groups will encounter individually, or does it run in packs?

It is supposed to run in packs but this one will be alone.

But yeah, generally, packs.

OK, then Nature 4 or 5 is probably appropriate. The Dire Wolf is Nature 5.

So with Nature 4, we’re talking dispositions: Flee 10, Drive off 6, Kill 4. Cannot be Convinced or Tricked. All others: Nature + Nature roll.

Or with Nature 5: Flee 12, Drive off 8, Kill 5. Cannot be Convinced or Tricked. All others: Nature + Nature roll.

Where are those numbers coming from?

Disposition Breakdown
Each monster is listed with three to five dispositions broken
down like so: One strength equal to double its Nature plus
bonuses from weapons, one secondary strength equal to
Nature plus half Nature, one competency equal to only its
Nature, and a weakness equal to half Nature.
Don’t tell players the monster’s disposition before a conflict.
Let them discover a monster’s strengths and weaknesses for
themselves.

Ah, I missed that.

Thanks.

The weapons look good, though maybe something like rangy legs for its Chase Attack rather than the jaws?

I’ll re-write it tonight with your edits in when I post up the owlbear.

Awesome!

Hell Hound

Might: 3
Nature: 4
Nature Descriptors: Stalking, Terrifying, Guarding

Dispositions: Flee 10, Drive off 6, Kill 4. Cannot be Convinced or Tricked. All others: Nature + Nature roll.

Fight Weapons: Breath (1s attack), Wreathed in Flames (1s Defend)

Chase Weapons: Smells Sin (+2D Maneuver), Relentless as Hell (+2D Attack)

(If hunting in a pack, +2D for disposition roll)

Armor: None

Instinct: Serve a greater evil.

Owlbear

Might: 4
Nature: 5
Nature Descriptors: Guarding, Mauling, Nesting

Dispositions: Drive off 12, Kill 7, Flee 2 Cannot be Convinced or Tricked. All others: Nature + Nature roll.

Fight Weapons: Beak and Claws (1s attack), Surprisingly Fast (+2D Maneuver)

Drive Off Weapons: Strong Lair Instinct (+1D to Defend), Knows its Territory (1s to Maneuver)

Armor: Equal to leather armor

Instinct: Protect Lair