2nd Edition Errata

I’ve noticed some complaints around the net of printing errors for 2nd Ed. Being someone who works with text for a living I know full well how easy it is to make these mistakes. Even D&D5e has a list of printing errors - the DMG listed a magic item that had a false description allowing one to overrun the world with generated beasts (Bag of Tricks).

Can we bring our findings together in one place please. It ensures that any re-prints will solve these issues and anyone looking for clarification can easily find corrections.

Please post page numbers and the edition (pdf / box) you found the error in:

Mouse Guard 2nd Ed. pdf:

p260 Recharge a Trait: says, If a level 1 or 3 trait has been used to help you this session, you may spend two or four checks, respectively, to reactivate it. It should say a level 1 or 2 trait.
p257 The example text for a Level 2 Trait is wrong: “If Lieam’s Determined trait were Level 2, I could add the bonus die to as many tests as I like”. Level 2 traits offer 2 opportunities to add a bonus, not infinite.

1 Like

I guess the PDF and harcover editions are identical content-wise. Anyway, I own the hardcover book and found the same as above (which I repeat for convenience), plus some more.
It seems to be a lot of errors, but mostly it’s really just the examples not being adjusted for the new rules concerning Traits and Wises. So, when in doubt, go with the rules text and not the example.

p67 “You could also use a Trails-wise or Peddler-wise to find likely routes […]” This 1st edition text should most likely be changed to reflect that in 2nd edition, wises help other skills instead of being tested directly.

p190 Gwendolyn has the same skill at different levels: Orator 4 and Orator 2.

p257 The example text for a Level 2 Trait is wrong: “If Lieam’s Determined trait were Level 2, I could add the bonus die to as many tests as I like”. Level 2 traits offer 2 opportunities to add a bonus, not infinite.

p260 Charge a Trait example text: “Liem […] gets the bonus die for each roll” - same as above: with the level 2 trait he gets it for only two rolls.

p260 Recharge a Trait: says, If a level 1 or 3 trait has been used to help you this session, you may spend two or four checks, respectively, to reactivate it. It should say a level 1 or 2 trait.

p260 “Fighting for her life, Gwendolyn uses her level 3 Determined trait to reroll a failed test.” - In 2nd edition, level 3 traits give +1s, not rerolls.

p271 Wise Effects: “[A wise] can allow you to reroll a six” - With Deeper Understanding you can’t reroll a six but reroll a failed die.

p282 The Grain Peddler is the 1st edition one with a Grain-wise skill. See p82 for the 2nd edition Grain Peddler.

The character sheet that came with the 2nd edition box set states: REWARDS/ Fate/ One point allows you reroll axes as new dice. Shouldn’t this say, “One point allows you to roll an additional die for each axe rolled”

Thanks for posting these. I just might be able to sneak in some corrections soon…

1 Like

Is this still the right place to post errata? Because I have a few more from the hardcover:

p. 35, Can Only Carry so Much, has a word missing: “[…] a satchel or bag containing or two items […]” should be “[…] a satchel or bag containing one or two items […]”.

p. 35, Conditions lists and describes 6 conditions, including Healthy. Should be 5, Healthy is no longer a condition.

p. 52, Embodiment: The example no longer fits the revised Embodiment rules, which now focus on embodying conditions and traits instead of being a more general reward for “good roleplaying”.

p. 66, Overcoming Weather, Wilderness, Animals and Mice mixes singular and plural: “Place an obstacle in front of the player. Describe it to them.” The “player” should probably be “players”.

p. 82 (and p. 282), The Snake– Nature 7: The snake still has the nature descriptors from the 1st ed, “Hunting, Secretive, Slithering, Constricting”. They should be “Hunting, Hiding, Silently Slithering, Constricting”.

p. 87, Presented with an Obstacle: First sentence has too many verbs: “You’ve must get safely […]” should be “You must get safely […]”.

p. 92, Complex Obstacles: The example has an obsolete skill: “Or you can make an Ob 3 Scientist, an Ob 2 Architect […] test”. Instead of Architect, it should probably be Stonemason.

p. 94, Skills Help Skills, still talks about helping with and testing wises: “If a skill or wise is being tested, you must help with one of your own skills or wises.”

p. 158, last line of Practice heading at the top of the page still talks about wises with ratings: “The wise starts with a rating of 2.”

p. 192, Drought and Famine, mentions the Healty condition in passing: “Only the most wealthy and most careful will have enough food to keep themselves Healthy.” That should probably be lower-case “healthy” now.

p. 228, 24 Skills, talks about wises and skills sharing the same space on the character sheet: “Your character sheet has space for 24 skills and wises. That also represents the maximum number of skills and wises your character can learn.” Wises now have a place of their own.

Finally, the character sheet (the one depicted on p. 24) still has the Deceiver skill, which should be Manipulator.

[Edit: One more]
p. 289, Weather Twists, is missing a word: “The rain causes the patrol to make an Ob 3 Health.” should probably be “[…] an Ob 3 Health test.”

p. 194, Charlatan: This NPC has Scamwise listed twice, both as a skill and as a wise.

p. 213, Moose: First sentence is missing a word: “Moose are unto moving mountains […]” should be “Moose are like unto moving mountains […]”.

And a few more:

p. 71 ‘incorporating a trait in a beneficial manner earns bonus dice or a reroll.’ -traits don’t give rerolls, but they can give an extra success
p. 158 ‘the wise starts with a rating of 2.’ - wises don’t work this way anymore
p. 233 nature foraging factors states min meal ob. is 2 (self, forest/fields) Pg. 130 states obtain meal with ob. 1

On the downloadable character sheet (MG_2e_CS_r2), there are also the “Healthy” condition, which no longer exists, and the “Deceiver” skill, which should be replaced by Manipulator.

p. 305: The nature questions introduce the traits “foolish” and “impetuous”; these two are not listed in the trait chapter.

p. 157, third item, tells you to practice one skill you don’t have in the winter sesseion: “It can be a patrol skill or a wise or anything”. The wise should be struck.

Also, “You” means the player, but Gwendolyn is depicted. Should be Celanawe.

p. 11, Taking Turns
“Before he or she rolls, he she gets to describe…” should be “…he or she gets to describe…”

p. 33, Skills
The Skills are listed in alphabetical order except for ‘Manipulator’ (which is placed - no surprise - where ‘Deceiver’ once was).

p. 52, Embodiment
“It’s also for the player who used his or character’s traits” should be “…his or her character’s traits”

p. 82, Player suggestions
“They can use Nature or Scout…” - As was discussed in another thread, only Scout is applicable for searching. Two more references to Nature follow, they should be replaced by Scout.

p. 98, last line
“Saxon and Kenzie argument” should probably be “Saxon and Kenzie’s argument”, given the context.

p. 99, Procedure for Conflicts
“The steps … are listed at right.” should be “… are listed below.”

p. 110, Conflict Example
Action 1: “Lieam rolls his Health 5…” - in a Fight Animal conflict, he should roll Nature or Loremouse.
Action 3: “Special / Independent” should be “Versus” (Feint against Feint).

p. 113, Skill table
Negotiation should also list Persuader for Feint and Maneuver (according to the main text).

p. 118, Armor
“Maces” are mentioned twice but are not found in the weapons list.

p. 122, If you win a killing conflict
“they must to win” should probably be “they must win”

p. 130, Recovery
“check off your Healthy condition” -> there is no such thing.

p. 209, Fox Weapons
“Snapping Jaws - Long (as spear)” - Spear does not have a “long” property listed.

I’ve only read up to page 135, so expect more to come…

p. 305, What’s Your Specialty? The example has the player raising the skill his character specializes in. The text doesn’t say to raise the skill.

Never mind, see below.

The text instructs to choose a skill, same as in the previous paragraphs. On p. 302, Starting Skill Ratings, it’s explained that “choose a skill” actually means to raise the skill.

Shouldn`t this thread be a sticky?..

Btw, I would like to add that cook isnt listed under What was your parents trade on page 303. I guess there is a reason why Boatcrafter might be left out on page 304 as there wouldn`t be a reason for Lockhaven to have boatcrafter(although you could have parents with that trade, no matter where you choose to come from)…

Impetous is mentioned as a trait you can take on page 305, under Mouse Nature, but I couldn`t find it in the mouse description…

And axe is mentioned as a common guard’s weapon on page 35, but not in Recruitment, the character creation chapter, on 313

I’m reading through the 2nd edition rules and feel like their is a conflict in the rules regarding trait levels. Or maybe I just don’t understand.

For Level 1 Trait, it says I get 1D to a test in that trait. It says that trait can be used once per session unless recharged. Makes sense.

Level 2 says I get +1D to two rolls involving that trait post section. Sounds right in relation to level 1. But then the example text says I can use it as many times as I like. How is this the same thing? The concluding sentence again states 2x per trait unless recharged. A couple pages later under charging traits, it talks about temporarily increasing a trait from level 1 to 2 so that you can get the bonus as much as you want. So there are 2 instances of saying it is limited and 2 instances of saying it is unlimited.

Under Level 3 there is no mention of it being capped and says it is for all checks involving the wise (which sounds like another mistake since we are in the traits section). There is no mention of recharging. However, on recharging while spending checks, it says you recharge Levels 1 and 3. Shouldn’t it be level 2?

Did some things get mixed up here or I’m I just not getting it?

See the first two posts in this thread. The examples are from the first edition, where the rules for traits were different.

Or as I like to jest: The examples are always wrong.

1 Like