A new GM's question

Of course. I was just pointing out that if you use the Factors in the Skill chapter in full then the math tends to not work out in the player’s favor. Obviously, sometimes they just succeed and that’s that. My point was that you don’t have to go out of your way to make the fail. The game takes care of that for you.

Jesse

Hmm, i think it’s becoming clearer now how this game works although I’m a bit confused by the Players turn. Quick question: When they have spent all their checks are the players turn over?( I can’t see how the players turn can take 2 hours with a group of 4 and each player has two checks ).

Should i let them Roleplay* after i present the obstacle and it’s OB raiting? Is that a good way to do it?

*When i talk about roleplaying i mean that the characters talk between eachother( in character ) discussing and talking strategy or just normal daily things.

I certainly do, if there’s time (meaning only that there won’t be time for extensive chatter in the middle of a landslide!). Also, I think it’s very important that each player back up their dice with description. Don’t let anybody roll unless it’s been well-established in the fiction what’s going on. “I want to build a boat with Boatcrafter.” Stop! I won’t set the obstacle until you tell me what your guardmouse is doing. ‘Using my Boatcrafter skill’ is not sufficient. I want to hear what you’re building it out of, how you’re building it, how hard your guardmouse is working, mopping sweat from his brow with his cloak. Same goes for Teamwork dice. I won’t allow players to hand Teamwork dice over until it’s firmly described in the fiction how they’re helping.

Between ‘normal’ roleplaying (when we’re not rolling dice) and that kind of ‘build the fiction’ roleplaying whenever we go to the dice, it’s not hard to get at least 2 hours out of a session.

-B

I must say you guys have been extreamy friendly and helpfull and patience with an total “newb” to this kind of gameplay.
I’m going to make a testplay with some of my friends( Though that group might not like the game, ill just need to find another one to play it with ( Or try Google wave or Skype or something ))
After that i will tell you how it went and ofcourse write what happaned and everything.

Thank you all so very very much.

Treat the Players’ Turn like the GM’s Turn. If you think of it as Checklist Time (spend the checks), that’s all it will be. If you treat it as normal play (which it is), they’ll have a good portion of time. On top of that, they’re likely to give you a lot of hooks and ideas for the next session.

Ha! The Players Turn and GM’s Turn is really confusing for someone thats rather new to this sort of game. Altough this game seams intressting AND it’s easy to forge a mission.

When a player uses a check to find a certain Mouse in a Town( Players Turn), do they need to do a skill test or do they succed automaticly?
And can i introduce conflicts and such on a Players turn? Or introduce new characters?

Page 73 does a good job covering spending checks to earn tests in the players turn. Spending a check allows the player to make a Circles test to find a certain mouse. Players can also get into Conflicts by spending checks. Twists and conditions work as normal.