A Pair of Young Men Newly Arrived to Paris

Hi All,

I recently started a new game of M&M that I thought I’d try and report back on as we play. Due to social distancing, and the global pandemic, we are playing online through Roll20. So far, only 1 1/2 sessions in, we are having a great time.

Miseries feels like a perfect game for me, as RPG’s have always been my favorite way to dust off my history degree research skills, and dive into a new era. I had almost no background in the 17th century before now, I ended up studying Carthage, Russia, and Indigenous North American history, so I am very open to corrections or observations about how the world that I’m presenting to my players is, or is not faithful to the subject matter.

I started the game with two players, and we will have a third joining us soon it seems. We’re all pretty new to the game, having messed around with it once before for a few sessions. However, we’ve all played or run short campaigns in Burning Wheel before, and aren’t afraid to explore. My one warning is that we tend as a group to jump into new games feet first learning as we go. I’m not a great reader of rules, and tend to take quite a while before I’ve got the entirety of the system running as intended. Apologies in advance for any confusion generated by mistaken rulings.

In this first post I’ll give you a little about the characters and the inciting incident such as it is.

Les Gars:
Untitled
Gaston, Level 3 Américain - Played by Andrew, is a young man newly arrived in Paris from Acadia. He left home at 14 and has relied on his luck, and charm, to make it this far. Gaston is not wealthy, but he would be the envy of many such peasants come to Paris, as he brings neither debts, nor dependants with him. Gaston’s travels have led him to a, flexible faith, adhering sometimes to the Pope, and other times indulging in the bible written in French. He is 17 years old

Guillaume, Level 3 Soldier - Played by George, born to a soldier and a camp follower both since deceased, Guillaume has labored at war for his whole life. His compatriots say he is built for the task, being both hardy, strong, and possessed of a charm that makes camp life easier. The only flaw that his fellows might see in him, is his dogged support of the Lutheran faith, although this is only known to a few of his closest. Guillaume is currently a member of the 38e Condé Infanterie, recently returned to Paris from campaigning in Catalonia. He is 23 years old, and cares for his much younger half-brother Adalbert.

L’histoire:
Both young men have come to stay at La Soline, a known soldiers haunt in Paris. The inkeeper, one Ignace, has proved to be a friendly and patient host. However, Guillaume has run up a significant debt, which Ignace finds increasingly difficult to bear. This morning, the 1st of January 1648, Ignace resolved to two endevours. First, to resolve the sword of damocles that Guillaumes debt represents to his establishment, preferably by getting that debt guaranteed by the regimental authorities. Second, to determine if the sober politics of these two young men, of whom he has become fond, matched the frondeur zeal they espoused when in their cups. So it was with such base and petty concerns that the year 1648 began in the inn La Soline, later to be of such note in the history of which I will tell.

Actual Play Reporting:
Number of Players: 2 and the GM
Time of the session: 2 1/2 hours (Character creation and discussion of setting)
Motif: Lodgers at the same Inn and Drinking Companions (We had some trouble here and resolved to figure it out as we went along…I feel the risk.)
Characters: Guillaume (Marginaux, Soldier 3) Gaston (Peasant, Americain 3)

3 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to hear about their adventures!

Sounds great! Our group had problems with the right motif aswell. It really helps to keep in mind that the motif is there to tie the group together despite their religious and political differences. My players tended to handle the motif more like a campaign hook. While I think you can do that, I believe that this ultimately leads to the dissolution of the group the moment they achieve their goal. Much like the fellowship of the ring (which of course dissolved before they achieved their goal). But instead it should be handled like the motif of the three musketeers, who are just friends no matter what.

I’m looking forward to the stories of your group!

1 Like

As for the motif, Pepe_Andre is right, it is a positive sentiment that binds the two together. Something bigger than politics or religion. It is not complicated at all: family, friendship, love, a life debt, comrades-in-arms.

Hi All,

Thank you pepe_andre and Luke for the advice on motif, in that case the agreement that the two PC’s are fast friends as a result of boarding together at La Soline seems acceptable. We’ll revisit it once our third member joins the party in session 3. Right now we’ve played a few more sessions, but I’m going to try and keep these posts a couple of weeks behind the real timing to give me the chance to keep the regular with my somewhat unpredictable workload. As a result my questions at the end may not be linked to the session above…a little confusing I know, but I think it will be worth it to keep these posts consistent. Now, on to the adventure!

Session 1: Wherein Gaston is Most Put Upon, and a Clothier Starts a Riot

On the morning of January 1st, Gaston arose early and heading downstairs greeted the day with his customary good humour. Indeed, despite having drunk heavily with the others guests of La Soline the night before, Gaston felt refreshed and invigorated. As a result he was only too happy to help when the Innkeeper, one Ignace, asked him to deliver a message to a ranking member of the regiment Conde Infantiere. Gaston brought the message to Subaltern Charron, only to have the young officer amend the letter and direct him on to Captain Dupont who was lodging with the regiments quartermaster, affectionately known as Bruno. The expanding errand, and the hard cold rain dampened our young subjects spirits, but he nonetheless proceeded on to deliver the letter. Dupont was furious with the letters contents and charged Bruno to “strip that fool corporal Guillaume of his rank and privileges, and assure that temeritous innkeeper that he shall not glimpse our illustrious fathers face this day, neither at court nor upon a franc!”. The task now expanding far beyond the morning stroll Gaston had imagined, he was obliged to show Bruno, first to Subaltern Charron’s residence to add the young sir to the growing troupe, and then to La Soline, where the two soldiers wasted no time in disturbing poor Guillaume who despite the lateness of the hour, it being well past 2 o’clock by this time, was just setting about his petit dejeuner.

What followed was a war of words hotly contested in which the staggered Guillaume had to defend himself from the all to true accusations that he had run up a ridiculous debt, while Ignace defended himself from the far less accurate accusations that he hoped to unfairly deplete the coffers of the illustrious Prince de Conde’s 38e regiment. In the end it was Gaston, who soaking wet offered the deftest cut when, entering the verbal fray, he declared that in his travels he had “known regiments of many nations, including the English and the Dutch, to have guaranteed the debts of brave soldiers likely to face danger for their country once more”. This, coupled with Guillaumes respectful and dutiful tone, softened the heart of Bruno enough to suffer the slings and arrows of the captains anger, and indeed led to the impressionable Charron loaning Guillaume a fine pocket bible, that it may help him to avoid the vices that had driven him to such financial extremity.

Ignace was thrilled to have the debts guaranteed, and offered celebratory drinks (free of charge) to Guillaume and Gaston. Taking this moment, the completion of some good buisness, as a perfect opportunity for the starting of even better business, Ignace asked whether Guillaume and Gaston would attend a private talk with him. He said that he had been invited as he was a leaseholder effected by Cardinal Mazarins new duties upon buildings built outside of the medieval borders of Paris. The two young men agreed to accompany him that very night, at least as much out of fear for the old innkeepers safety on the streets of Paris alone, as out of interest to hear some young firebrand speak.

The venue for the speech turned out to be the dance hall of a cabaret. Arriving by way of a side entrance guarded by a couple of sturdy looking gentlemen, the eclectic party arrived on a well lit dance floor with a circle of chairs (many occupied by leading merchants, militia captains, and one or two parliamentarians), they joined the standing room only crowd and waited. It wasn’t long until a young man, well-kempt with fine clothing, entered the ring and addressed the group. He introduced himself as Theofile Drapier and then launched into a caustic attack on the policies of Cardinal Mazarin. He whipped the audience into enough of a furvour that on completion of his speech as many exited the cabaret a host of them, including our three, decided to set their path to pass one of Cardinal Mazarin’s estates in Paris.

As they passed, several in the host began throwing rocks and soon they had split into several parties trying to find adequate vantage points from which to break windows. This required exploring the outer wall of the estate and it was at this point that the ingenious Gaston, noted a small (and fateful) gate. With Guillaumes help he used a metal bar, luckily discovered in pile of construction materials, to pry open the gate. Many of the rioters swept in, some going as far as to break and climb in through the smaller windows on the side of one of the outbuildings, in hope of carrying away valuables. Gaston, and Guillaume were more cautious, and their caution was rewarded when the reports of musketfire were heard and several of the Frondeurs, turn looters were shot exiting the household. Building upon their earlier caution the two, with Ignace still in tow, beat a hasty retreat into the night.

A failed search check as they fled into the night, meant that they did not notice the well dressed young man observing them from his position in the second floor of the building across from the gate into Mazarin’s estate. Nor did they succeed a listen check, on their journey home to notice that they had been followed back to La Soline. So it was that they arrived, shaken, but not overly worried back to their residence.

We ended the session there.

Actual Play Reporting:
Time of the session: 3 1/2 hours
Motif: Lodgers at the same Inn and Drinking Companions

Systems engaged with and feedback:
Duel of Wits:
This session really revolved around the duel of wits in La Soline with the Quartermaster, Subaltern, Ignace, and the 2 PC’s. It was extremely fun, even though I feel we didn’t use the system to it’s true dynamic heights as the conversation was rather still (not too much moving in an out range bands). Andrew (Gaston’s Player), reported enjoying getting a sense of his future interlocutors and using that information as ammunition in this discussion, we both felt it gave RP scenes some mechanical stakes as even when it wasn’t worth a full DoW. Also, having a conversation with 5 participants run this smoothly, and be this satisfying (especially as we were all new to the system) was great. In the end it was really just two successful verbal volleys with high damage rolls that swung the conversation. Given the youth of our PC’s they were very lucky not to get hit, this added a lot to the tension of the scene, and made the outcome suitably surprising.

Die of Fate: We rolled the die 4 times this session, twice for Gaston’s side trips fishing in the Seine (although, we are toying with this maybe being a French roll in the future, or perhaps an improvise), and for the maintenance of the gate and the iron bar. Roll20’s rolling algorithm bless the players with 3 6’s out of 4 rolls, which I think may have the effect of encouraging risky behaviour, or at least demanding surprising things from the world. I love it.

Questions
When marking XP can you mark it in any lifepath? or do you need to choose your next lifepath and then mark XP in that?
Temporary Ruling: We ruled that you must select the lifepath that you could mark XP for before the session as this is a big part of planning. But, that you could in theory have XP marked in multiple lifepaths.
example: Gaston declares that in session 1 he is working on Americain and manages to mark an XP, leaving him one accomplishment away from leveling. The next session he declares he is working on Clerk and manages to mark 2 XP. He does not have to give up his Americain XP, but will have to decide for next session which lifepath he is working on.

What would you rule fishing in the Seine is as a roll?
I toyed around with a pestilence save, but decided against it after some research suggested that in this period the Seine even had Salmon (a notoriously anti-pollution fish) in it’s waters. I thought maybe French (if the challenge is getting a spot without being driven away), or Improvise (because I like it as a catch all). But neither seemed to capture Gaston’s vision of having come from an Acadian fishing background. In the end I went with the Fortune die to move on. But, it’s a open, albeit minor, question.

Thanks all! Excited to update you once more in a week!

Hi,
nice summary, I really like your style and the situations you presented them with. Seems like a lot of fun!

Here are my answers to your questions:

Concerning Lifepaths: You can not level two lifepaths simultaniously, and you can not earn experience checks for your lifepath in advance (check pp. 133 and 160 respectively). In practice this would look like this: The player who wants to leave communicates their interest in doing so to the group. After you have done this, you can no longer gain experience checks for your current lifepath, but you can earn checks for the entry level of your new lifepath.

Fishing in the Seine: I would want to know why should there be a roll for that in the first place. Remember the first rule: Oui Monsieur - “only when the game master cannot say yes to an action do we declare our intents and go to the dice to resolve the uncertain outcome.” (p. 16).

It’s up to you if fishing in the Seine justifies a die roll. I would say that the answer depends on the character’s intentions. Do they want to determine if the charater knows where the fishes are? Do they want to determine if they can catch the fish? Do they want to know if they are patient enough to wait until a fish bites? You see, that there are many options available here.

But I would, if I were the GM, just allow them to have their fish and incorporate this into their overall lifestyle. I don’t think that fishing is very dramatic in this context and thus doesn’t qualify for a dice roll.

Hope that helps & enjoy the game!

2 Likes

Thank you pepe_andre, I’d missed page 133! That clears things up.

I’m kind of facepalming about asking for a roll on the fishing. You make an excellent point!

2 Likes

Hello all,

Having a tonne of fun with our playthrough so far! Hope you are enjoying reading about it!

Session 2: Wherein a Blackguard Enters the Scene, and Vows are Made

As the bells of Cathedral Notre-Dame de Paris rang in the first hours of January 2nd 1648 our little band picked their way past the Pont Neuf and through town. They were quiet and worn out, it was fear that suppressed the spirit of Ignace, worry that gnawed at the heart of Guillaume, but Gaston was alight with a new passion that he struggled to contain in the silence of their long walk home to La Soline. In the main room of the Inn the three quietly shared a drink or three to settle their nerves, swore themselves to secrecy, and retired to their rest.

The next day (January 3rd) Gaston, still filled with an purposeful energy, went to meet with the Quartermaster Bruno. Welcomed inside by Bruno’s beautiful wife, he enjoyed a breakfast with the jovial master of the house and his guest the dour Captain of Guillaumes squad. He continued his run of excellent social behaviour, and by the end of the meal had negotiated an adjunct role supporting Bruno in a clerks capacity, filling out requests for billeting in the city as the soldiers began to congregate in preparation for the campaign that seemed so sure to follow in the spring.

Back at La Soline Guillaume discovered that the bible he had been gifted two days earlier by Subaltern Charron had disappeared. Guillaume was furious and questioned all the other residents of La Soline, but none seemed to have any idea what could have happened to the object. Distraught, both at losing such a valuable object, and at the anger that Charron would surely display at discovering his carelessness, went hopelessly to search for the bible. A successful Francais test told him he knew of a local purveyor of less than legal goods, and a failed improvise roll and chance save from the woeful thief, determined that the bible was plainly visible among the offerings in the market stall of one Oscar Courtemarche. Guillaume and Oscar engaged in a spirited debate, finally having been threatened, insulted, and cajoled Oscar gave in and told Guillaume that it had been some young child who had sold him the bible. The description of the child matched Guillaumes little brother Adalbert (Adé for short), in every detail. Distraught, Guillaume apologized profusely for his manner with Oscar, and retreated home.

A great conflagration of an argument followed, with Gaston having to step in between the two brothers as Guillaume chased Adé out of the Inn and down the alley. Eventually, Adé, in tears, admitted he had stolen and sold the bible to pay off a mysterious stranger who had come to him and threatened to have Guillaume locked up for a crime against the cardinal and the king. Thus it had been blackmail, by Adé described, a well dressed man in a large collar and fine hat, that had driven the 13 year old to this betrayal. Now both in tears Guillaume and Adé made their apologies to one another, and Guillaume and Gaston their vows of vengeance upon this mysterious new foe. Adé informed them that the profits from the sale of the bible hadn’t been enough and that the man said he would return in a few days to demand more, and so a fuse was lit, the powder set and a confrontation made inevitable.

Despite a physical description no one was able to put name to this blackguard, and so Gaston and Guillaume determined to bring this blackmail to their contacts within the Frondeurs. They thus spoke to Ignace, and arranged to attend another talk organized by the indefatigable Theofile Drapier. This time though, they thought they ought to take additional precautions, and so spoke to more of the soldiers within Guillaumes regiment, anyone who they thought might have ears for Drapier’s message. They found among their messmates 3 other like-minded individuals, Felix, Cesare, and Jules, who agreed to attend with them. So this time when they braved the nighttime streets of Paris, they did so with 4 soldiers in their party of 6.

Upon entering the now familiar cabaret through the side exit, the group found that the audience had swollen, with many more citizens now turning out to hear Drapier speak. The young firebrands tone had shifted as well, and this time as part of his speech a commitment was asked. Sifting through the crowd Drapier, and his closest supporters, handed out musket-balls to any members who would commit to “building and organizing a barricade in their district when the time was right, and filling that barricade with able men of a brave and patriotic disposition!”. Our heroes jumped at the opportunity, and as Drapier himself handed Gaston his musket-ball the young Acadian took the moment to ask if anyone else had been targeted by a “well dressed blackmailer, with a blonde mustache”. Drapier said he had heard others complaining of this problem and agreed to introduce the aggrieved parties to one another after the meeting had thinned out.

As the crowd emptied Gaston, Guillaume and company found themselves along with Drapier and three other groups. After introductions they all shared their experiences with this blackmailer. In each instance he had approached a vulnerable family member, a child in one case, a beloved elderly servant in another and an ill aunt in the third to demand money. In each instance he had arrived in a fine carriage with gentlemen and ladies present in it, although he had only ever alighted this carriage alone to commit his crime. One of the groups could give them a name: Ettienne Premoy. The other groups did looked at the small squad of soldiers who were with Guillaume and asked if he would be able to deal with this issue. Holding up his musket-ball the young soldier declared that he would be the “Flame to remove this leech upon France!”.

Returning home that night, the contingent of six paused in the main-room to discuss. In the end they sealed their compact by dropping their musket-balls into a class of wine and drinking a toast to the end of Ettienne Premoy and all the leaches of France (including their king Cardinal Mazarin!)

Actual Play Reporting:
Time of the session: 4 hours
Motif: Lodgers at the same Inn and Drinking Companions

Systems engaged with and feedback:

Duel of Wits: Had even more fun this time! We had a couple of Duels in this session and with each I feel we’re really getting more out of the system. The ranges in particular stand out to me as really adding to the dynamic feel of the interaction, and the victory options lead us to lots of excellent post duel soliloquies.

Mentalities: We did a little bit more experimentation with Mentalities this session as well, rolling Frondeur and Francais a couple of times. So far were really just using them as circles tests, but I can imagine them being used more as wises as well.

Questions: None this week! But, I am always open to advice or feedback on the decisions you’re seeing in the sessions.

Side Note on GMing

I’m having a really fun time prepping for sessions, and have come across some helpful tools. I am using a modified fronts system from Dungeon World, and enjoying that as a way to structure my planning. I’m also taking inspiration from writers prompts to add in little wrinkles to my Paris. Ettienne Premoy is a creation of the prompt “the curtain twitches to the side, things must look different from behind the window”.

Right now I feel like my prep is 1) Check the next few days in the history of Paris 2) Update Fronts from last session and add new ones 3) Read a little writers prompt and try to interpret it either into a Front or to characterize someone or something. 4) Create 4-5 new NPC’s (My Paris has about 30 burned up at this point, and I’m happy to have that grow and grow).

I’m excited to see the GM tools or commentary in 1648 (no rush Luke!), but I think a setting appropriate list of little writing prompts or literary quotes would be an awesome little appendix for giving GM’s a fun creative push.

Thanks all, stay safe, happy and healthy!

Session 3: Wherein the Pen and the Pike are Mightier than the Sword

The Morning of January 7th 1648, gave a brief reprieve from the dreary weather, and near constant rain that have thus far constituted our stories background. Gaston, lead ball in his pocket, took this opportunity to purchase a fine raincoat. This of course spoke to the young man’s age-defying wisdom, but it also provided a good image of the character of the day, a day for sparing no expense or effort in the cause of preparation. These preparations were limited to making certain that a watch was kept, and a table reserved to keep Premoy away from the less radical among their housemates.

The group knew that tomorrow they would face Premoy, as he would come once again to demand pay from poor Ade. They did not expect but were nonetheless happy to receive Subaltern Charron. Charron brought with him a young woman, clearly devout, and Guillaume realizing that he had an opportunity to repay the young Subaltern for his kindness in loaning him the bible, now sadly in possession of a street merchant. So dutifully he played the grateful, newly reformed man, much to Charrons satisfaction and the Ladies delight. Passing a fine evening together, the company almost forgot their concerns, the existence of their blackmailer, the sudden immanence of armed revolt, crushing concerns that had driven them to pledge their lives only yesterday, all of these dissolved into wine, and pleasant company.

However, just as salt poured into water returns when the water is boiled away, the next morning with the company gone and the wine a painful memory these concerns came once more to the front. Over a quiet breakfast, and then a silent lunch they waited. Finally, there came a new sound to the front of La Soline, the sound of the wheels of a fine carriage rocking against the cobble stones of their small street. All eyes in the tavern turned to see an elegant shoe, stocking, grey doublet, blonde moustache, high white collar and plumed hat, all wearing a young man in his late twenties emerge. As the gentleman did so, he could be heard apologizing to those inside the carriage for the quick stop, and promising a bottle of wine for the disruption. Upon entering La Soline Premoy, for this was indeed their nemesis, haughtily demanded two bottles of Ignace’s finest, and then cast about with his eyes. Spying Ade from behind a curtain in the backroom, he proceeded to walk past the startled Ignace to accost the poor boy. As he demanded his money, Guillaume, Gaston, and Felix all came up behind him. Clearing his throat Guillaume got Premoy’s attention, this attention was further guaranteed by the conspicuous albeit sheathed armament of Guillaumes friends.

In no uncertain terms, Premoy was told that he ought to be leaving. Premoy, quick to see that he now had to deal with the soldier rather than the boy, decided upon the fabian strategy, and retreated. He left the wine, and leaving only threats to return, re-entered the carriage, closing the door to reveal the livery of Gaston, Duke D’Orleans, as horses were moved by command to motion.

The victory appeared Pyrrhic to our heroes. Certainly they had embarrassed their rival, but he came with the threat of protection from noone less that the brother of the late King, a son of France, the thrice rebellious and thrice forgiven, and the third in line for the throne of France. What could a provincial, and a pikeman do against the favorite of one so high?

“Expose him” suggested Gaston. With these fateful words, he took up the pen and Guillaume took up the task of connecting with Drapier and a through him securing the production of a pamphlet. As Drapier and the Frondeur branch that he inspired with his words, had some access to money, and Premoy was a shared enemy, they were able to quickly secure a limited print run of whatever Gaston could produce. This work would take a few days though, and so the company determined to set a watch upon La Soline, in case Premoy returned.

The next day, he did return. This time around dinner time, he arrived with two carousing musketeers. The three of them entered, as if they were strangers, and sat themselves down in front of the fire. From there Premoy called for supper, and also for entertainment, demanding “That young black haired boy you have, with the voice like Odysseus, or was that Orpheus?”. A clear reference to Ade, he clearly meant to embarrass and torture the young boy. Guillaume, could not allow it and stepped in. He claimed that Ade had a cold, and therefore his signing would not be possible. Somewhat disappointed the musketeers seemed understanding, but Premoy pressed on “You are soldiers aren’t you? Surely you know some regimental songs?”
“Indeed I do” Guillaume responded, and he began to sing a favorite picked up in the Conde Regiments campaigns in Catalonia. Unwilling to leave him to face his tormentor alone, Felix, Jules, and Cesaire joined in. A successful soldiering roll later, the whole inn rang with the signing of the soldiers. As the final verses rattled the shutters, Premoy clapped his hands and said “Very fine gentleman, very fine indeed. But, do you not also sing songs from the Royal Roussillon? I hear they have a very fine one about your Conde himself?”

This reference not only to Cardinal Mazarin’s pet regiment, but also to their unflattering songs about the hero of Rocroi, stirred Guillaume to fury. He refused to sing such a song. Premoy pushed “Come now Sir, I demand entertainment! Are you not the dancing monkey of this establishment? Why would you deny me this simple request?”

Clearly Premoy sought to swing the opinion of his musketeer companions to his side, but the resulting verbal affair had the opposite effect. With a timely intervention by Gaston, whose silky tongue was beginning to define him, Premoy lost his temper and restrained by his companions uttered the regrettable words “Fire will have this foul tavern! And I shall be happy to see the conflagration!” as he was ushered away. Premoy must have been furious, he had hopped to goad the soldier into accepting a duel, or indeed into doing violence to a gentleman and thereby consigning himself to the life of an outlaw. Instead, the disciplined Guillaume, and silver tongued Gaston had made a fool of him.

We can imagine the scene then of the next evening when, the still seething, Premoy dressed in his best arrived at the gates of the Luxembourg to enjoy the company of Monsieur (the Duke D’Orleans), only to be told by a lowly footman "Dear Mr. Premoy, I am afraid the Monsieur does not know you, and therefore you cannot be allowed entrance. We can imagine the affronted noble demanding entrance only to be handed a short printed page, some 100 words, signed Gaston D’Acadie. We can imagine the horror as he read about how “One Ettienne Premoy, an aquaintance of the Duke D’Orleans is no more than a blackmailer and an accoster of young boys”. Further we can imagine how seeing his companions of the night before looking at him from one of the window of the Luxembourg as he stood, barred entrance, infront of the gilded gates of that great house.

After that it is anyones guess what Premoy did, some say he tried to gain access to Cardinal Mazarin, to “tell all” but was denied entrance. Indeed some suggest that he was caught attempting to scale a garden wall to shout up to that great minister to Queen Anne and Louix XIV. Whatever the case, Premoy was ruined by this one letter, these few words.

But ruined men are still dangerous. He took the last of his money and went to find a few other ruined men. He found three, and paying his last money for enough sac wine to steady his nerve, descended upon La Soline like an avenging spirit at half-five in the morning.

Unfortunately for Premoy, this was Felix’s watch. Felix’s first pistol shot grazed Premoy’s cheek. His second left one of his three desperate mercenaries dead in the street. The shots wakened the house. Those in the know grabbed their weapons and rushed downstairs. Before Premoy could get to the fireplace, and begin the promised conflagration he was challenged by young Cesaire, fighting on the stairs he gave Cesaire a thrust to the leg. His two brigands fell upon Felix who losing his cutlass in the stomach of one was felled by three horrible cuts, one to the side, one the stomach and one the thigh. Early successes aside Premoy and his last remaining goon were heavily out matched, and determined to make their escape. The brigand was quicker, but by the time Premoy got to the door, Guillaume hot on his heels (armed with his pike no less!), Gaston blocked the door. Gaston had outpaced Premoy by dropping from the second story window. Finding himself surrounded, Premoy surrendered.

We ended the session there.

Actual Play Reporting
Time of Session: 4 1/2 Hours
Motif: Drinking Companions, now Brothers in Arms
Characters: Guillaume (Marginaux, Soldier 3), Gaston (Peasant, Americain 3)

Systems Engaged with:

Our first combat!:
It went really well, I wish I’d brought more bandits, as they were wiped out quite quickly, but still the deadliness was on full display. The combat was exciting, dynamic, fun and best of all only took about 30 minutes! I enjoyed how the initiative system broke up the action in such a way that the players never seemed to be waiting on me or each other too much. Everything actually felt like it was happening at the same time, rather than in several different dimensions and then smashing together. I’m excited for the next one!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.