About Traits in tiebreakers and advancement in conflicts

I ran Find the Grain Peddler and noted some questions :

1. Is it possible for a PC helping another to use a Trait to break a tie even though he’s not the one acting directly ?

2. I don’t quite get how advancement work in conflict : If I use for example in a Fight Conflict Nature and Fighter, do I get to record the first test passed or fail for each one ?

3. Finally, how helping on a disposition roll works ? I supposed it was like any other roll …

Thanks for your kind help :slight_smile:

David

Sorry, not sure about 1 and 2. Disposition works like any other help test, so yes… it’s like any other help die/dice situation.

Not sure, but I doubt it. Help just adds d, the helper is not involved otherwise, save for being bound to the results.

I believe you get to use the first test passed and failed with each one.

1. No.

2. One advancement tick per conflict.

3. Same mechanics for regular rolls with teamwork, except if you help a team with their dispo, you have to take an action for them in the conflict.

thank you everyone for your clarifications :slight_smile:

Per skill, or period?

Period. You normally take a tick for the first skill test of the entire conflict. As per the rules as written the only exception is if you need a fail or a pass to advance. In this case you can withhold your one tick until you get the pass or fail you need.

I finally got my copy of Mouse Guard!

Page 228. Conflicts Earn One Test Per Ability or Skill.

right, I had read that…forgot it.

Maybe I’m being slow on this…
If I understand correctly and illustrate with an example :
During a Fight conflict, I use Nature to maneuver and pass. Then In the same conflict, I use Fighter to Attack and pass. Then again Fighter and pass. At my 4th action, I fail at Nature, and as my 5th I fail at Fighter.

As a net result, I record :

• one “P” tick on Nature
    AND
  • one “P” tick on Fighter.

Is this it ?

Sorry, but my understanding of the text was confused… as I’m not an english speaker :slight_smile:
(Even if I read the PDF and then the book at least 3 times… :confused: )

Yes, Doppelganger9, you’d note a P on nature, and a P on Fighter.

There is an exception… if all you needed to advance fighter was a single fail, you could, since the 5th was a fail at fighter, mark that, but only becuase you needed just the one failure.

Jo has fighter 2 with 1p and 1f and nature 4 with 4p and 1f.
R1A1: Attack, rolls fighter, fails.
R1A2: Attack, rolls fighter, fails
R1A3: Defend, Rolls nature, succeeds.
R2A1: Attack, succeeds
R1A2: Defend, rolls nature, Fails.
Jo gets to mark the pass on nature, but it has no meaning, since he’s not one away from raising.
He also gets to mark the fail on fight, even tho’ the first roll was a Pass, because he needs just the one fail to raise.
If he had had 2f marked on nature, instead of 1, he would have gotten to mark the fail on nature.

Thanks, Aramis, I think I finally got it.

Another Question about the Disposition Roll :
p104 seems to imply that other than teamwork, a player can use gear, and traits : how does it work ?

p.104: Be sure to check out your character’s condition, traits and gear for modifiers to starting disposition

Other than Armor which gives a +1D or +2D to Disposition, are there any other piece of gear that modify the Disposition Roll ?

Is using Fate/Persona possible ?

What about the “I Am Wise” rule ?

Gear and Dispo: You ask yourself if the gear is going to give an advantage in this type of conflict? Note that, if the item is clearly a weapon, I’d NOT give the advantage on dispo, unless the other side lacks weapons.

I let a wise, a trait, and gear apply IF THEY MAKE SENSE. Likewise, you can spend a persona to add nature, and a fate to open 6s…

I believe this is correct. Also, if you had all the passes you needed for Nature and Fighter, you could have waited for the failures.

Or… you can log the fails (F). You get to choose, in a conflict, whether you want to record the P or F. So if you had all the passes needed for both Fighter and Nature, you could wait and see if you failed and then record the fails. (p. 229, first paragraph)