Adventures of Cheddar

To be consistent with the rest of Mouse Guard, Cheddar should get the bonus; the weather should not get the penalty.

Except it’s awkward to phrase a bonus that says “Attacks against you are reduced by 1 Dice.” Because there’s nothing like that.

It’s exactly what’s happening though if you prefer that terminology.

It is awkward, which is why I would make the umbrella offer +1D to Defend against weather.

Also, looking back at your first post, Cheddar and the weather shouldn’t both have had conflict goals focused on the mail. If the weather’s goal is to soak the mail and Cheddar wins the conflict, the mail is safe regardless of her goal. By having parallel goals, each side is trying to achieve something separate, and this leaves more room for figuring out compromises at the end of the conflict.

I don’t follow that bit with the goals?

If the mail is ruined Cheddar loses, if the mail is safely in Gilpledge Spring loses.
They can’t both win…but there can be compromises where part of one or the other happens.

Compromises could include delivering the mail but perhaps some of the letters are soggy. Getting the mail safely there but becoming Sick and Tired from from the exertion. Losing some pieces of the mail to the wind.

Goals are just what you want to accomplish at the end of the conflict and a guide for what the action will be like, I believe?

If the weather’s goal is to ruin the mail, then Cheddar doesn’t need to specify that she’s trying to oppose this; it’s inherent in the conflict. She’d be better off setting her own goal, such as “Arrive safely at Gilpledge.” This allows for a range of compromises depending on how much disposition each side loses. Cheddar conceivably could achieve two distinct goals–protect the mail and finish her journey. Likewise, she could end up lost or hurt but with the mail intact, or safely in Gilpledge but with a sopping wet mailbag. It makes for much richer conflicts.

Look at the example conflict goals on page 102. Obviously, Saxon and the snake are fighting to the death. But Saxon wants to protect Kenzie and Liem whereas the snake wants to guard her nest. So now there is a range of outcomes: Even if Saxon kills the snake he may not find the nest, and likewise Saxon could get eaten but still keep safe his fellow guardmice.

EDIT: Conflicts with perpendicular goals tend to be really flat, bogging down in what amounts to “I do this.” “No you don’t.” roll dice With separate goals, there’s a lot more room for how to narrate one’s actions because one side can do something interesting that works toward its goal without having to block the other side’s action.

It’s difficult to make satisfying compromises from perpendicular goals. If each side doesn’t have something suitable they can get out of the conflict, it’s better just to do a versus test.

The example on page 102 is almost identical to the goals we used…

Kill the snake to protect Kenzie and Saxon
vs.
Kill the mouse so he doesn’t find my nest

Ruin the mail (Kill the mail)
vs.
Get the mail safely to Gilpledge (Complete the journey and protect the mail)

I dunno, I think the intricacies are difficult to judge and it worked out rather well.

OK, I see where getting to Gilpledge is part of Cheddar’s goal. Thanks.

Here’s the next set of fun we had today. Hope you guys enjoy.

Action 1! Spring Maneuvers and Cheddar Defends; 2 to 4. Cheddar recovers 2 disposition.

*‪me:*‬ ‪It’s not far now, the crack leading to Gilpledge is just ahead. You double check the bundle of letters and it’s wrapped up tight and safe. With a firm grip on your leaf you dart your way between small puddles.‬

Action 2! Spring Attacks and Cheddar Feints; 3 to Nothing. A mighty blow to her disposition.

*‪me:*‬ ‪Thinking you’re safe you decide to push yourself a little further and make the final dash to safety. Only to hear a rumbling come from behind you as a torrent of water floods down the path. There seems to be nowhere to run.‬

Action 3! Spring Feints and Cheddar Attacks; Nothing to 2. It’s the final strike at Springs disposition and the conflict ends.

*‪me:*‬ ‪With the flash flood coming straight at you and nowhere to run you leap at the crack for Gilpledge’s entrance. The water slams into you and sends your body tumbling through the crevice. With a crash you’re thrown through the main door of Gilpledge. Soaking wet and gripping the bundle of mail tightly you slide to a stop in the middle of the cavern. With water and mud sluicing about the floor the town mice stare at you in astonishment. You let out a violent sneeze and feel pain shoot up your leg.‬

Cheddar discusses a compromise of delivering the mail safely but with the conditions of becoming Sick and Injured. She wants to put the safety of the mail before herself.

*‪me:*‬ ‪The mayor of Gilpledge approaches you, “That’s the first time the rain has ever delivered the mail mouse to us! Are you ok?” As he comes near there is a splorch noise nearby and Buzz Buzz leaps out of the mud to land between you and mouse‬.

We’ve finished the GM turn and now enter the Player Turn. She has 3 checks to spend.

*‪AaLesha:*‬ ‪Reaching out I gently calm Buzz Buzz, and while grabbing for the mail bundle, pain shoots up my leg again "It seems while the Mail has made it in one piece, I have not. *My leg appears to be injured."‬

*‪me:*‬ ‪He puts an arm under you and gestures over another mouse to help, "We’ll get you to our healer straight away. I’ll have my assistant hand the mail out while we get you bound up."‬

*‪me:*‬ ‪While hobbling to the healers house you let out another drastic sneeze. "I think you’ll need some herbal tea for that cold you’ve come down with, you might want find some when your leg is well."‬

*‪AaLesha:*‬ ‪Sniffling "Yes, thank you, that is a lovely idea."‬

*‪AaLesha:*‬ ‪Hobbling upon the healers door, with the help of the other mice, Buzz Buzz wearily at my side, one of the other mice knock gently upon the door‬

She wants to use one of her Checks to recover from being Injured with the Healer.

*‪AaLesha:*‬ ‪From behind the door come noises of shuffling and then, “What do you want?” *I reply‬,‪ "I have traveled a long way from Lockhaven to deliver a bundle for the Mouse Guard, and I am afraid I have hurt my leg along the way"‬

*‪me:*‬ ‪An old gray mouse opens the door. She’s wearing a thick shawl of many colors and her eyes filmy. "C’m’in, deary. Guardmice forget their bodies are as brittle as any others. ‘ways thinkin’ of simple letters and packages 'fore themselves."‬

*‪AaLesha:*‬ ‪Smiling slightly, yet wincing as I hobble in with the help of the other mice‬,‪ "I’m afraid that’s part of being a Guardmouse, all in a days work though. Sneezing hard‬,‪ “Excuse me. *Is it alright if my companion comes in with me, or would you like him to wait outside?” Motion over to where Buzz Buzz is hiding behind the door frame‬.

‪me:*‬ ‪She peers at the cricket and grunts, “Crickets are good luck. Friend likely the reason you made it.” She ushers you over to a bed and starts moving her hand a long your leg‬,‪ "Looks like you’ve sprained it. I’ll try to brace it and hopefully it’ll be better by tomorrow. If you hold still and help me keep the pieces in place while I bind it we’ll have better luck."‬

We did a Healer check using the Healer from the Denizens section with her skill of 5 and +1D for Cheddar assisting with her own Healer skill. The oldfur got 4 successes so her Injured condition is lifted.

*‪AaLesha:*‬ ‪Wincing but trying my best to stay quiet‬,‪ “Just tell me where to hold what you need.” Glancing over at Buzz Buzz, who has placed himself near the head of the bed‬,‪ "Make sure to stay out of the way, lil guy, can’t have you getting hurt either."‬

*‪me:*‬ ‪With your help to steady the brace and her knowing hands the leg is tightly bound and the pressure relieves much of the pain. She gives you a pat on the head. "I think you’ll be fine. Was there anything else I could do? Your nose seems t’be drippin’, why don’ you be lookin’ through my cupboards f’r some tea. I have a hard time with the labels myself."‬

She requests another Check be used to lift her Sick condition. Results are the same as before!

*‪AaLesha:*‬ ‪"Yes, my nose is giving me quite a fit. If I am your eyes, will you help me find the right tea?" I say smiling‬,‪ "Thank you so much for my leg, it feels better already."‬

*‪me:*‬ ‪As you sort through some of the jars and call out labels she shakes her head at most of them, “Hrmm, barkroot…or bitterbark…bitterelm…no, none of those. Ah, did you say Elmsleaf? That’s the one.” She takes the jar and boils the contents in a pot of water. Reaching up she opens one of your eyes wide, then pulls your tongue out. “This’ll keep the cold away and settle your sneezes before you knock anymore of my tonics loose.”

An awesome read, Scipion. Sorry to hear about your friend’s health troubles, but I’m glad you both have time to enjoy life.

Btw, what did Cheddar use to determine her Dispo and what Skill is she using to “attack”? I’ve been scanning the posts but can’t seem to find it.

Wanderer, thanks for the post on goals, interesting to read as well. I’m playing with a bunch of newbies and being a newbie myself, having a “broad perspective” really helps.

P. 113 has a table that tells you what skills you use for what actions.

Since it’s a Journey Conflict you use Pathfinder for Attacks and Feints, and Health for Defense and Maneuvers.

Disposition is 4d6 + 4 (Health)

One thing I’m curious about is if Buzz Buzz could assist on Health checks because of the line.

“If Nature, Will, Health, Resources or Circles is being tested, anyone can help.” and Luke has said that Animals will use their Nature in place of any ability or skill.

Animals don’t act outside their natures, so Buzz Buzz can help with chirping, weather watching and hopping, not circles. I know there is a thread where Luke suggests a variant for folks who want animals to act outside their natures where you use tax nature and use beginner’s luck rules, but circles???

By “anyone,” I think he meant anyMOUSE.

Yeah I’m thinking if there’s a good fiction for it then they can help. Course you know…gotta be damn good fiction for how a cricket helps your Resources.

edit; Now that I think about it more since Animals participate in conflicts without taxing their Nature then you could certainly have fiction for one joining your team, adding to disposition, and assisting with actions they can assist on. This is even backed up by p. 101 The GM’s Side.

I could see another conflict involving the mice teaming up with say… a seagull to protect it’s nest from crabs.

I’m glad to see you found it useful.

I took animals not acting outside their natures to mean that anything an animal does is within its nature, but on further review that may be a peculiar reading.

Might be worth starting a new thread about help from animals. Circles definitely seems like a long shot, unless perhaps they were looking for an insectrist . . .