This idea popped into my head a while back while watching the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie, and the scene were Robin says (paraphrased) even a young boy can be trained to find the weak spots in armor. So I was thinking as a house rule that successes on a Strike action during a Fight! could be spent to increase VA in addition to increasing damage or changing hit location.
- I know that changing hit location lets you hit less armored locations, but I was thinking this would be aiming for joints or other gaps.
- Another thing is that there should be a limit on how much you can increase VA (No +5 VA on a dagger). So either you can’t more than double the VA (or just +1 for 0 VA weapons) or limit it to just +1 or 2.
- EDIT: Maybe the limit should be based on the weapon type, like it is harder to hit a weak point with a bashing weapon like a mace, but easier with a pointed weapon like a rapier.
- Also you would need to take weapon and armor shades into account for this. Grey and White shade weapons are going to be rolling more successes on their rolls, so they likely don’t need any changes. The question is if Grey or White armor has smaller or better protected gaps that would make it harder to bypass it, but G&W armor would like weapons be rolling more successes so there is likely nothing needed there either.
- Lastly is figuring how many successes this should costs per +1VA.
Sorry if this post is a little erratic. I was thinking about all this as I wrote so I just went stream of consciousness here. I also haven’t play the game a lot so I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, just something that popped into my head. Any feedback is appreciated.