Albino Trait

Hello,

One of my players will be creating his first MG character tonight. He called me this morning and talked about ideas he has for his mouse. One of them is that he wants his mouse to be all white with pink eyes. He says he thinks being an albino would be both useful and a hindrance. That sounds like a trait to me.

Has anyone else created an albino mouse? If so, how’d it go? Should I allow this? Are there problems I’m not noticing that allowing this could lead to?

My initial concern with this as a trait is that other then hiding in snow I can’t see an up end, compared to likely downsides like less sun-resistance and poor eyesight. And theoretically any mouse could try and justify a “gear” bonus from having a fur color to that matches the surroundings (brown in mud, black mouse standing on coal, etc). Multiple levels would also be really hard to justify (“Hah, I’m three times more albino then you!”).

However, from a cultural perspective I suppose it could be used to gain fellowship with other oddities or to intimidate people, depending on your assumption of how mouse culture regards such things (i.e. if albinos are regarded as bad omens, dangerous individuals, or inherently corrupt). Or on the flip side if there have been a lot of famous albino guardsman maybe its looked at as a mark of potential greatness (with the heavy expectations that brings). Making it work this way will thus require a little fleshing out of your view of the setting…

I see the levels as working. I see that as representing a character’s ability to use his trait better than he used to.

Also, your thoughts on culture and taboos associated with being albino are really interesting and something I hadn’t thought of. I’ll keep that in mind.

I don’t see a problem with making up an albino Trait. Making use of the trait is completely up to the player and as long as they follow the rules for Traits, there really shouldn’t be much room for abuse.

Sounds like a cool Trait to me. Say that albino mice are often pitied by other mice for their somewhat odd appearance, but there are many who shun and distrust them. I could see the Trait getting a lot of use.

-B

Hi

I think an Albino mouse is really cool.

And just a thought about traits could a healer or scientist (chemist) produce herbs/drugs that could replicate traits for a short period of time?

Now there would have to be a downside/cost but it could be fun producing a herbs that could for example make someone fearless or fearful for a short period.

What down you think?

Stilton.

hee hee!

GM: As you travel, you suddenly see a Fox!

Herbalist: Wait, wait! I’m going to munch down some mushrooms.
munch munch

GM: Okay, make a skill test to see if it does what you think it does.

Herbalist: rolls 5 successes! Am I Insanely Bold now?

I see it more like this:

GM: As you travel, you suddenly see a Fox!

Herbalist: Wait, wait! I’m going to munch down some mushrooms.
munch munch

GM: Okay, make a skill test to see what it does.

Herbalist: rolls 5 successes! Am I Insanely Bold now?

GM: Ummm… no. You no longer see a fox. You see a marshmallow turtle being manipulated by cotton candy strings being moved by a nearby purple tree with wavy stink lines radiating off of it. Strangely, you can distinctly see those wavy lines…

Herbalist: … uh oh…

heh heh!

Okay, I’ll admit it. My failure at properly describing the effects of the mushroom are due to my lack of experience. I defer to Rafe’s wisdom!

Albino should work just fine as a “quality” trait instead of those on the list on page 308. Make sure the player understands how traits work.