Artha spent on Beliefs and Instincts

Quick question regarding Artha spent on Beliefs and Instincts. Let’s say a player spends a Fate point on a Falsehood test. Let’s say that further this is in furtherance of the character’s belief “Never give a sucker an even break.”

Does the player choose to add to the count of Fate spent on either the Falsehood skill or the belief? Or are both Fate counts incremented?

I would say that both are incremented. They serve different purposes.

Can someone give me a page number for where it discusses the spending of artha on beliefs and instincts? Somehow I missed this whole concept and I can’t find it.

Peter

I don’t have my book with me, but I believe it’s in the section about trait votes.

When you evolve a belief or instinct into a trait, the amount of artha you have spent pursuing it is a rough guideline of how powerful the trait should be.

Someone will be along shortly to post an exact page reference.

I have this vague idea this was pulled out of BWG. On page 59, it’s referred to:

You can invest in earning certain traits by spending artha to accomplish your Beliefs and Instincts. Artha is discussed in the next chapter, The Artha Wheel.

Evolving Beliefs and Instincts
Beliefs and Instincts are meant to evolve into traits throughout the course of play. Spending artha—which is discussed in the next chapter—on a Belief or Instinct is a good benchmark for the type or power level of a trait. The more artha spent, the more potent the trait.

… but I can’t find mention of what it means (in BWG) to ‘spend artha on a belief or instinct’ in the Artha chapter.

Just to reaffirm what Zelbinian says, it counts towards both.

I seem to remember that pre-BWG BWHQ had said they weren’t ever really strict with the whole spending artha on beliefs and instincts to evolve them into traits.

So, without my books handy, maybe it was more explicit in BWR and the wording was changed for BWG?

I backed off on this a bit in BWG. It only gets a cursory mention.

We use it as a guideline sometimes at BWHQ, but not a hard and fast rule. The relatively high belief turnover also makes it a bear of bookkeeping.

Oh good, one less thing to worry about.