Bestiary

This is a place to put a beast that came your mind or maybe you used in a session. The RPG book has a wonderful selection of creatures to choose from… no reason we can’t add to that list. Always fun to add your own ideas anyhow.

Opossum

Opossums are a very horrifying beast to a mouse. They have huge eyes that can see fantastic in even the darkest night. Their teeth are razor sharp and claws to match. Opossums have more teeth than any other land mammal; this makes them a force to be reckoned with. They have a long tail made for hanging in trees and off branches to catch their prey. These creatures are nearly harmless during the day light because of their nocturnal nature and are mostly no threat to mice. All mice should be wary of making noise in the dark… there might be a creature in the dark as well, waiting.

7 Nature

Long tail, razor sharp teeth, climbing, stalking.

Long Tale: +1D to Maneuver
Razor sharp teeth: +1D to all Attack.
Nocturnal: -1D to Attack during daylight.

What would a possum’s nature be? I mean what terms would describe it? Those adjectives are a lot more useful than you may realize.

Thankyou for the advice… noted and I hope it is better :slight_smile:

It is a bit better, but why have different natures when you already have modifiers? This seems like overkill. You’re talking about a difference of +3D! That’s crazy.

Also, most animals have about 3-4 terms to describe their nature. You have two: climbing, sneaking (night)
Look at a heron’s nature: stalking, flying, barking or a whistle pig’s nature: tunneling, digging, burrowing, foraging
These terms describe what the animal DOES and are helpful to a GM when they are roleplaying the animal’s behaviors.
For the possum, it would seem that they just climb and sneak at night. I’m sure there’s at least one more behavior that they are known for. Check out some wildlife guides or remember times when you’ve seen a possum on your back deck or at the zoo. I’ve seen one in wild and I was weirded out by how slow and strange they move. And they hiss!

Long tail and razor sharp teeth are more or less weapons. If they seemed prevalent enough, I’d say:
Razor sharp teeth: +1D to attack
Long tail: +1D to maneuver

I guess I would just say to take a good hard look at the Denizens of the Territories chapter if you are intent on starting a bestiary for use by others. The more the entries conform to the style in the book, the easier it will be to use them in all of our games!

You’re so wise. You’re like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

No but seriously, thanks for the info. I have seen many many Possum in the wilderness… something i did not know is that they are actually a marsupial… only one native to N. America. As a human I personally find them scary… i couldn’t imagine what it would be like to have to contend with one as a mouse.