Bigger details about fight

Hello everybody. We just run bigger fight and tried to stick to the rules as much as possible, but it created some question:

1. In case of Block&Strike can i choose to put 0 dice in offense? (It does not matter for defense as there will be always dice from shield)

2. In case of Countrestrike, can i choose to put 0 dice in offense, or 0 dice in defense?

3. Part of the fight was in the darker area, so both combatants had +3 Ob for darkness. Player 1 scripted Strike (roll 3 successes), player 2 scripted block (2 successes). From rules we determined, that that would count as 6 successes for strike, 5 for block, so strike goes thru. Next action was again strike for player 1 (again, 3 successes) and player 2 scripted push. Normal obstackle for strike in that case is Ob 1, which means (with +3 Ob from darkness) it became Ob 4 and player 1 did not meet this one and failed. Player 2 failed as well, because his Ob is 1/2 Speed of oponent (2) plus darkness, which means 5. My question is, are we doing something wrong? It seems as if both opponents fight in darkness (or at least have same +Ob from enviroment, etc) it would be more beneficial for attacker to have versus test, not standart test. As from our case, player 1 and 2 had same successes both rounds, only difference was that it was versus test. Somehow it does not feel right

4. One player scripted Push against Push from opponent. Ob is vs Pow. Player 1 have 4 power and 3 brawling. Player 2 have 3 power but 6 brawling.
    a) If player 1 uses brawling, it is skill vs stat test now and player 1 should have Ob = 1/2 Pow right?
    b) Also, can player 2 say that he has also brawling and that he wants to defend with it?
    Otherwise brawling does not really have sense here in many cases. As more skilled opponent (player 2) in brawling can not use it in defense as it could be only use for offense

5. If i want to use Charge, that means that i have to switch from my sword to my hands and that means that i cede my Advantage before i can use that charge, right?

6. Push action mentions that you change your weapons to your hands. That would mean that you cede your adventage to your opponent (p.458). And if you succeed (exceed your opponents roll in versus, or win by margin 2 or more in standart test) you take your advantage. If I scripted back to my sword for my next action (strike) - as im using one handed sword and pushed with free hand - does that mean that i cede my potentional Adv from push action back to my opponent in my next action after push?

7. Player 1 has Adv. He scripted Charge. Player 2 scripted beat. It is not versus test, only standart test for each one of them. Both won. Who has Adv?

8. Player 1 choose action Block&Strike. Player 2 choose Charge. What test it would be for player 2? Charge vs Strike, or Charge vs Block? Am I right here if i go by rules on p. 461 for multiple combatants, where it is stated that “Choose the target for your action when you announce it.”

Thanks everybody who can answer. I love that I have possibility to play system with active playerbase where I can ask some questions, so thank you all for that :slight_smile:

1, 2. I believe the intent is that you must always put at least 1D in each pool when you split pools. Unless you only have 1D, then you can choose which to put the die in. I don’t have a reference handy, though.

1. Your best practice is to remove any Ob penalties from the successes generated before comparing rolls. So in a Vs test where I have a 3 successes and a Superficial Wound, and you have 2 successes without a wound, we would tie. Your Ob for advancement is 2 (my 3s -1Ob to 2), and mine is 3 (your 2s +1Ob).

2. You can test Brawling in place of Power for Push at your discretion. So, it is often better to test your Brawling in a Vs test, even if your Power is a bit higher. In a standard test, it can be better to test your Power. If I have B4 Power and B3 Brawling, and you scripted a Push with your B4 Brawling, I’m probably going to test my Brawling to oppose you. (Unless maybe I really want the test for Power.)

3. Right, which will impose penalty on the Charge if your opponent is wielding a sufficiently long weapon.

4. If you get enough successes on your Push, you should be able to retake your Advantage with the sword to strike with it in the next action. If you decided not to, then yes, you’d cede the Advantage again.

5. Dunno!

6. Looks like both! Not sure how that works; I guess take the highest Ob?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Ad 3, that does not help i think. This works in versus test, but in standart test i dont count Ob which my target has, only mine. Thats the problem here. So in versus test my 3 successes against opponents 2 successes (in case we both have DIS Ob 3) meant that margin is still same and it is 1. In standart test however I would have 0 successes (3 rolled - 3 Ob as you say) but because we do not count 3 Ob from my opponent, i can not pass even Ob 1 Standart Test. It is disproporcial

Ad 4, I see. So even if im best in the world in brawling (10), it does not matter against normal strength (lets say 4) of my opponent if im defending. That does not seems right, no? Why some form of Stat vs Skill does not happen here?

Lets see if somebody knows 7 and 8

If you have +3 Ob from disadvantages, and you roll 3 successes, you have effectively 0 successes.

Because you have to beat your opponent in a Vs test, a roll where your opponent rolls 0 successes is effectively the same as a rolling against Ob 1. If you have a Strike vs a Block, and you both have +3 Ob, the Block rolling 2 Successes is reduced to 0, meaning the Strike needs to roll 4 Successes to hit – 3 for the penalty, plus 1 to break the tie.

The truth is that in such cases, the party that doesn’t want to fight is best escaping into the dark, and/or any party that wants to fight is best creating a bit of light.

It does happen. If you have Brawling and I don’t, and we both script a Push, you can test your Brawling in place of Power and impose a double Ob penalty here.

If your question is about other interactions, like, say if you scripted a Feint on my Push, then no, your being the greatest Brawler in the world doesn’t help you. You decided not to apply that training in the moment, and I catch you sleeping. You still have to play the strategic game and script smart. No amount of skill exponent gets you out of that.

If you have +3 Ob from disadvantages, and you roll 3 successes, you have effectively 0 successes.

Yes but thats only for Versus test. Even if I have +100 Ob and you have 0 Ob and you are using Push, your Ob is still 1/2 my Pow. I could potentionaly be completly hindered by thousant things, it does not matter here because it is not Versus test, but standart test

If your question is about other interactions, like, say if you scripted a Feint on my Push, then no, your being the greatest Brawler in the world doesn’t help you.

I see, thank you. Thats exactly my question. Im sure it is RAW like this, not sure it is RAI

This is incorrect. [EDIT: Page reference is 440 in Gold Revised, under The Compleat Obstacle heading.] Could you tell me how you areived at this conclusion?

I am quite confident that it is.

Happy to help!

Well factors listed in our example with referencing p440 are:
Complete obstacle (1/2 of my pow in our case)
Disadvantages if any (you have 0 here)
Wounds (0 here)
Other conditions (lightning etc, 0 here)

But there is no mention how to apply my +100 Ob, only that I should apply your Ob if there is any. So even when I’m crippled by +100 Ob penalty, your obstacle would be my pow/2 (let’s say its 4/2 = 2) so your ob would be 2 based of my reading of that page

Just so I’m clear, you don’t count whatever is giving you that +100 Ob as “other conditions”?

Also, your first question was about a darkness penalty in particular. Now, in the presence of a source that explicitly answers that original question, you’ve shifted away from the actual play to a ridiculous hypothetical.

Are you fucking with me right now?

Sigh, no. I used darkness as example, but I didnt get from your answer how should I used Ob from BOTH sides in standart test(i was aware how my +X Ob would change my whole Ob, but I was not aware that +Ob from opponent can change my Ob in standart test), so I shifted for this example, because it is clearly ridiculous.

I will try to end it with example
Player 1 using Push, has 0 Ob, his power is 4
Player 2 using Strike, has +4 Ob from some sources, his speed is 4
Roll for push should be against 1/2 speed. So player 1 rolled 1 success (from 4 dices from his power). Player 2 does not roll, as it is standart test. Ob from this test is 2 (as speed/2 = 2). (im well aware that based p.440 if player 1 would have +4 Ob and not player 2, that ob from this test would be 6)
My question was how +4 Ob from player 2 changes standart test from player 1. I understood from your answer that player 1 would add 4 successes (from opponent 4 Ob) to his 1 rolled success and passed the test.

Okey than, that would solve everything from that question, sorry to bother you and thank you for answer, i will wait if somebody can help with 8 and 9

Ah, yeah. Okay, so, the biggest difference is strategic. If your opponent has a bunch of penalties, you can hammer away at them from relative safety.

Other than that, you can lobby for advantage dice. If you can see in the dark and your opponent can’t, I would probably be happy giving you a couple of advantage dice for your Push if you came at them from an oblique angle.

But the strategic part is maybe more important than it seems: Each exchange is a Vs test for positioning, so your opponent’s penalties are going to translate into more penalties as you take the advantage. I expect you’ll find that Ob penalties can’t universally apply to the aggressive fighter’s favor all of the time. Positioning Disadvantage, for instance, doesn’t logically make you easier to push over.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.