Burning Dregs - My Fanmade Supplement to the Game

A while back I made a supplement to the BWG/Codex! With the forums finally reopened, I figured now would be a good time to talk about it again. I consider the design to be finished, but if anyone uses the material or has thoughts, feel free to let me know.

I’m proudest of the Body Art skill which is used to decorate the body, whether that’s hairstyling or tattooing. It’s basically the only skill I designed which seemed to fill a genuine gap in the RAW because Body Art may vary among time periods and cultures, but pretty much every society has it in some fashion.

Anyway, if you’re interested in the supplement, it includes:

• 10 New Skills
  • 13 New Mannish Lifepaths (that make use of the new skills)
  • 8 New Traits (that also relate to the new skills)
  • And commentary detailing my thoughts on the design process

Link: Burning Dregs

9 Likes

very good material, thank you for sharing

I actually used these in my game, they are quite nice!

I really like this supplement. I do have a question though, why did you choose to use Will/Agility as the root of Body Art? Personally I’d thought of it much more like other artistic and hand-eye coordination skills using Perception/Agility like Calligraphy, Writing and the like.

1 Like

Neat! Definitely filling in some missing holes in typical dark or middle ages settings.

I would perhaps allow Tattoo Artist to be in the Peasant Lifepath as well. I’m thinking Maori and Native (South) American influences… though Maori are Seafarers. :wink:
As such, there would be other leads. But that’s a mere quibble.

Excellent effort!

1 Like

I actually used these in my game, they are quite nice!

Oh nice! If I may ask, which parts did you use? Would really love to hear which things you and your fellow players gravitated to

I really like this supplement. I do have a question though, why did you choose to use Will/Agility as the root of Body Art? Personally I’d thought of it much more like other artistic and hand-eye coordination skills using Perception/Agility like Calligraphy, Writing and the like.

So Musical Instrument, Painting, and Sculpture are all rooted in Will/Agility and like them I definitely have always imagined Body Art as an artform that is both personal/social and very time-consuming, which makes me think Will more than it does Perception.

Perception/Agility would probably be a fine set of root stats if you don’t agree with me, though, so I wouldn’t fight you too hard on that point lol.

2 Likes

I’d simply been curious. I really like that justification though. I’d forgotten painting was a Will rooted skill to be honest.

Btw, in a game I’ve played in the last year a whole culture of Men had the ‘Tattooed’ trait and your Body Art skill fit in so perfectly.

Honestly players just wanted more traits and more skills so I have told them that they can use this small addition. Especially traits! If I am remembering correctly we used Dedicated and Reclusive trait, and Whip skill. Those were cool, I even included all traits and skill from the pdf as an optional addition in my personal BWG character burner website.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.