Burning Empires in one weekend

I’m really stoked about Burning Empires, so much so that I got my friend Malc to fly to Gencon and get me a copy, signed by Luke and Chris and the team, and fly it back to me in the UK. Not actually got it yet, but soon …

Anyway, so I really want to run a campaign, but my regular group is all tied up in other games right now. The next opportunity I’ll get is at a local con at the end of October, so I thought I might run some BE then.

So how to run BE at a convention? What’s the best way?

I had a crazy idea about running one long, continuous campaign over the course of the weekend, so each game was interconnected. How would that work? Would it work?

Hi Andrew,

I’ll post our con scenario for BE sometime in the next month. You can do a four hour game, but it’s certainly not a complete campaign.

If you wanted to do a complete campaign in one weekend you’d need at least 28 hours of cogent, solid play.

-L

I have been thinking about this too, as BE really is built for long term play.

If your pregenerated PCs, the world and figures of note, you could play through a couple of maneuvers in a four hour slot.

I was considering creating reduced versions of the mechanics such as a world with just 5 options but I imagine that it would be a lot of work.

Alternatively you could just play through a phase of Infection and simply describe the character’s actions in broad terms (possibly using PTA style play as inspiration).

None of these are particularly satisfactory of course. The best way to play BE is as suggested. An immense weekend session for 1 phase would be awesome and exhausting :slight_smile:

Awesome. I have a small convention here on 30 September so it looks like that would just in time :slight_smile:

If you wanted to do a complete campaign in one weekend you’d need at least 28 hours of cogent, solid play.

That sounds like a challenge :smiley:

Or maybe not. I hear ya about it being a long term campaign, but it was just an idea I was throwing around. A one off session sounds far more sensible and feasible!

don’t do it! luke wants to be the first designer to kill a player like those MMORPG’s in Asia.

maybe you’ll be able to find some players at at the local con, following your one-shot, and set up a game with them after.

Furnace by any chance?

So how to run BE at a convention? What’s the best way?

I had a crazy idea about running one long, continuous campaign over the course of the weekend, so each game was interconnected. How would that work? Would it work?

You’d probably be able to get 24 hours worth of gaming (3 x 4hour slots per day), but it’s unlikely you’d get players to commit to that, so you’d probably end up with different players each session.

My advice would be to run a one-shot a few times throughout the weekend. Much easier to get players for and gives you an opportunity to play in something and enjoy the con.

• Neil.

You’re quite right Neil! It is indeed Furnace. I think I’ll go with a couple of one shots.

Ok, so running an entire campaign in one weekend won’t work, but could you take it a slightly different direction by running several linked sessions? I get the feeling that BE is definitely suited to carrying through the actions from one one-off to another, with the actions of the characters in the first session affect the second? Could that work?

It seems appropriate that Furnace (www.rpgfurnace.com) is going to be full of Burning Wheel/Empires. I’ll do you a deal Andrew. One of us will run Luke’s Convention scenario! I’m also working towards a Burning Wheel classic quest game. Newt’s Burning Wheel ‘Enemy at the Gates’ Fantasy Stalingrad game may also feature.

All things considered Burning X has a good showing at such a small con. What is it with our crowd?!

Cheers

Why don’t we both run it, then each of us can play in the other’s game!

Makes me quite disappointed that I can’t make it to Furnace.

Ok, so running an entire campaign in one weekend won’t work, but could you take it a slightly different direction by running several linked sessions? I get the feeling that BE is definitely suited to carrying through the actions from one one-off to another, with the actions of the characters in the first session affect the second? Could that work?

Now, that indeed is a workable idea. At Continuum this year there was a series of 3 linked CoC that apparently worked very well.

Doing it with Burning Empires might be a little harder as each of the phases have a direct impact on the next but with some clever plot handling it could work very well. Maybe have different sessions playing different sides of the conflict.

Do let us know how you get on with this.

Neil.

Oooo now there is a thought! :slight_smile:

Oooo now there is a thought!

We should coordinate our efforts so we don’t overlap or anything else disasterous! Drop me a line!

Now, that indeed is a workable idea. At Continuum this year there was a series of 3 linked CoC that apparently worked very well.

Doing it with Burning Empires might be a little harder as each of the phases have a direct impact on the next but with some clever plot handling it could work very well. Maybe have different sessions playing different sides of the conflict.

I guess you’d need to have a vague idea of which maneuvers to play out in each session, but have some set goals/outcomes at the end of each session that effected/triggered different things. It could be enormously complicated, but a lot of fun! I think I need to take a look at the demo Luke ran at Gencon to see how he handled single session play, and mine it for ideas!

And my book has just arrived. Yay!

Boo! I got one specially smuggled back from Gencon but it hasn’t arrived yet!

Sorry to jump in, but couldn’t get the thought od some ‘mule’ with a 4lbs BE book hidden where the sun don’t shine, trying to get through customs…“anything to declare?..” Ouch! :shock: