Burning Questions and my plan for the testruns

Greetings,

i have now read the books a couple of times in the sections that i want to use most and come to you with questions:

When my second lifepath gives me a lead to outcast, but i stay in the city setting for my 3. Can i then take an outcast lifepath for my 4. choice because i have a lead to that or do i have to follow leads directly? I am fairly sure that all leads count but i want to ask.

Could you explain the maintenance circle to me? Let’s say i have B3 Ressources but i fail my roll for my B4 lifestyle by two. Now my Ressources are B1. I go and Get a job! but i roll only enough to reduce my tax (i don’t want to speed stuff up)
What happens now? I just go for my ressource cycle without the ability to do anything? After i am done with my job, isn’t it then time to test Lifestyle again?
How do i determine the obstacle for the maintenance test?
Are their any other ways to handle this in the fiction than tax-collectors?

Could you clarify the advancement rules for emotional attributes? Does a dwarf get 4 greed tests with She’s Magnificent, I must have it!, he fuel the fires of greed and all of this is to “Buy the best, no matter what”.
I guess this is something i have to see in play but it is really unclear to me.

How does movement in RaC work? I know we only measure abstact ranges between teams but what if the orcs are in the forest, i am in the riverbank a bit more away and both of us want to get to the destroyed castle for cover.
So we have
Forest <-> Castle <-> Riverbank

How do i handle getting to specific points? How do i know who is there first? Do i have to make like a grid saying “from here to there is two close actions etc.” or can i abstact all of this? I can’t even proberly display my problem in english, i hope you just understand my problem and can help me…
I think i understood the general mechanics of it.
Let’s say i am in a fort and the orcs are attacking. The fort gives me +2 cover. I would maintain where i am and then can spend my successes (if i win) to shoot or to improve my next roll. So hitting me would be harder and i can basically shoot each round and then spend my extra successes to just win the next volley again? Is this right?
What other terrain-help can i get from different kinds of terrain? How do i make terrain an interesting feature in RaC?

Getting hit in the head or the arms doesn’t really matter right? I mean they might be armored differently but ruleswise nothing really would change if get hit hard in the head right?

Now my plan to test everything? I don’t have enough players here right now to run the Sword. It also needs the DoW and Fight Subsystems and this will be a bit much. I will run a testsession (+burning session) with 1 or 2 players to test everything, just using the standard rules and Ressources, Circles (maybe Steel). If this works well i will see if we continue playing like that or not. If not i will take one of the players and just make a session where we test Fight, RaC and DoW so that i can get a feel for that.
Later i will probarly run a campaign with 1 player. A bit Count of Monte Cristo like, with him released from jail and hellbent on revenge.
First task to be dealt with: Get some new clothes and shoes and a place to stay.

1. No, you take your lead from your last LP. Page 84. “last lifepath.”

2. I dunno.

3. Greed advances when any two of the three advancement categories are filled and Routines count toward advancement at exp 5 and above.

4. You sound like you have the gist of R&C. But you never “just win.” Each action has its requirements. Cover on p. 406, Fortifications on p. 419 and Weather, Terrain and Light on p. 422 all talk about the mechanics of terrain. Objectives on p. 404 talks about using loose conditions to set goals in R&C. As for movement, that really depends. It’s hard to answer your question without a concrete example of something that happened in your game.

5. Wounds are wounds, no matter the location. I can kill you with a mortal wound to your arm or to your head. However, Argh, My Arm on pages 489-490 might address some of your concern.

6. I understand your impulse to run a “test session” but you should probably take my advice and run The Sword for two players. You don’t need to use the subsystems if you’re not comfortable with them.

1. You have to follow leads directly. You had the chance to move on, but decided to stay put.

2. As Luke says, you don’t need to use the subsystems. Just use vs tests.

Lifestyle maintenance Ob’s are set by the way you live. Live like a pauper in a ditch, Ob1, live like a lord Ob4-6, etc.

Failed Ob’s in fiction are tougher, but not too hard. These things can lead into story as well. Perhaps old debts have been called in, or there is a turnip shortage or general famine in the neighbourhood, a thief breaks in a steals your furniture and cool collectible star wars toys, a fire wipes out you kitchen and the costs of rebuilding hit you hard, loose a bet with a superior over a game of Sport-ball, get demoted with a commensurate drop in pay-grade, the local soldiery raid you warehouse and take everything. Just make some shit up, then see where it takes you.

I am in the final year of my undergrad, and doing my thesis.

I have found myself doing the Resource Cycle system pretty well. I typically will make a pretty high (relative to me) resource test, pay tution. And then, after a while, fail my lifestyle roll, get a job, recover tax, try to pass the resource test, go to university, fail the resource test, and then get a job.

Basically - it’s a case of money running out usually.

I would expect that the average citizen is going to try to recover tax, then make a lifestyle test, and then recover tax. When they begin to get good at their job - they can raise the level of the test they use for lifestyle, and then, get enough tests to move upward. Of course, since the average resource cycle is a year, then they can never get too upwardly mobile.

I’ve been thinking too hard on this…

Get back to study, or work if you’re in that part of the cycle. :wink:

What exactly happens when 2 of my 3 players Get a Job! ? Let’s say one is the poor knight and uses his Ride skill to go with the caravan. The other stays in the city and works as a apothecary. The third player doesn’t know what to do now. Of course 2 could maybe use apothecary and go with the caravan and 3 just follows them.
This then just becomes a hook for future adventures right?

Let’s say we play a urban game instead. 1 uses Swords to teach as Swordmaster, 2 sells potions as a apothecary and 3 has a lot of freetime. How much time do 1 and 2 have to spend each day working? Does this become more like “worker by day, hero by night” or do they have to wait until the next ressource circle?

How much time does Get a Job! take on a daily basis?

The odd player sucks up the impending maintenance test and practices his skills and other abilities.

Time for the test is as stated on p. 373: the current Resources cycle minus each success spent on working quickly.

So it’s really “no game time” during this time. Hard stuff, not sure if i like that… sorry.

Have to see this in play

It’s a very simple mechanic. Time passes while you work, rest and practice. It gives the game an organic feel.

It’s always worked fine for us.

It’s the game equivalent of a wavy screen filter, or a training montage. Just stick on “Eye of the Tiger” roll a couple of dice and move on with the story. :wink:

Just thinking a bit. Let’s say i am playing a 2handed axe wielding soldier. For a typical fight i would script

Counter Strike / Avoid, Set/ Greatstrike

does that make sense as a “standard” script?
Also, what is the difference between Counterstrike and Block&Strike?

page 45. Series of Rolls = one test

This is generally clear to me but what about using like 3 or 4 different skills in a DoW? Can i advance all of them?
Same thing if i change weapons in combat…

The script is find.

You B&S with a shield.

Page 45. One test for advancement per ability per conflict.

But B&S must be better in some way since i need a shield right? More requirements -> more effect. Most of the effect i only get with shield training right? Can someone compare CS and B&S to me again? Since Shield rules are somewhere else in the book it’s hard to flip back and forth and still visualize all the information

IIRC, the differences are that Block & Strike gets advantage dice from the shield, while Counterstrike doesn’t*, and that Counterstrike is completely foiled by Feint, whereas the Strike part of Block & Strike is still effective against Feint.

As far as I can tell, they interact differently with Stances as well.

• I see I’m wrong about this one.

Not to mention that Counterstrike is useless if your opponent doesn’t script Strike against you. Block & Strike lets you attack, regardless of what he scripts. However, Counterstrike is not penalized for being disadvantaged, so there’s that as well. Decision, decisions.

That’s the big thing: B&S is essentially an offensive maneuver that also allows for defense. Counterstrike is primarily a defensive maneuver.