Clever, Fun and Creative Examples of ways to Use Checks on in Player's Turn?

During yesterday’s session, one of the Mice used his check to leave town and try to retrieve the body of a dead mouse from the wilderness, that the patrol failed to save from a Raven… Kind of obvious to some, maybe, but to me this was creative and clever. To bad he failed though…

Do you have any examples of things you can do on the player’s turn, besides recovery, shopping and the usual stuff?

Oldie, but goodie: Player Turn Suggestions - Google Docs

Wait, now what happened when the dice came up with too many cowards? I’m assuming he rolled Pathfinder or Scout to seek the body; I’d have ruled that as a Scout test Vs Raven Nature to give an idea how challenging it would be to find the remains which were lost to a raven. So, let’s say the raven rolls fairly high successes, and the mouse rolls fairly low successes. So, he doesn’t get outright success, but he gets Success w/ Conditions or Twist. I’d have ruled, ‘yeah, you find remains, particularly of some personal effects which can be returned to family or given some other worthy honor; however, having placed so much effort on the search, you’re now very tired to the point of near complete exhaustion–you probably need about a three day rest just to recover and prepare for anything else.’ Now, certainly , I could have him become Angry about not finding the remains whole, or become Sick from spending days searching without good food and drink in chilly rain. Or, I could simply say,
yeah, you’re Hungry/Thirsty from the relentless search, but you’ve found the remains.’

Now, I wouldn’t specifically place a Twist in that scene, but it is an option which a GM could choose.

So, why too bad he failed? What did you give him as a result of trying?

He found the body and got to hide it and himself in a hole before the raven attacked. Nature VS nature as he was more hiding from the raven than locating a body he more or less knew where was already. He liked the twist and even used his trait to say the raven broke his leg as he jumped into the hole. The other player chose to use her check to help her injured friend back to town. I would let them bring the body, but they decided it made more narrative sense to leave it and maybe come back for it later.

He found the body and got to hide it and himself in a hole before the raven attacked. Nature VS nature as he was more hiding from the raven than locating a body he more or less knew where was already. He liked the twist and wanted a condition too, to say the raven broke his leg as he jumped into the hole. The other player chose to use her check to help her injured friend back to town. I would let them bring the body, but they decided it made more narrative sense to leave it and maybe come back for it later.

Not “too bad”. It was fun and everyone enjoyed it. Too bad for the mice, that’s all :stuck_out_tongue: