Criticism of Realm Guard Rangers

Just a note. v1.6 will take a while. There’s been a lot of good feedback to be added, but the main thing has been adding a Nature and description for various locales, and it’s royally screwed the layout. That’s what will cause this next version to take some time.

Hey that’s cool…I’ll just keep dropping my ideas here…

Scott, did you come up with a way to work Dúnadan Nature into the “Skills by Conflict Action” matrix? That is, did you allow players to use Nature as the Defend and Maneuver action skill for Fight conflicts, without the risk of Tax?

I have a good grasp of the Nature descriptors, and my players can work them into conflicts in interesting ways, I’m sure. If Ranger Nature doesn’t fit for those actions, which I don’t think they do, what skill replaces it? Fighter is the obvious choice, though it makes that skill (which most people already consider a big deal) to become even more important than it is now. I am inclined to allow players to substitute any skill they can work into the story, which rewards creativity.

In fact, I have convinced, myself. Scott, I still want to know what your solution was, but for my RG session tonight, I will allow substitutions of any skill, if a player can work it in. This could lead to a little friction if I disagree with something, but the payoff is opening player creative options - I think it is worth it.