Deal me a conflict

Hi,

This morning I thought of a simple play-aid for conflicts. One of the things that irked my neatnik soul in BE was how we’d keep marking up these conflict sheets, but I was too lazy to laminate some of them and get grease pencils.

But with Mouse Guard there’s an elegant solution:

Get a couple decks of cards.
Give each player and the GM a hand of 12 cards, 3 cards from each of the 4 suits.
Then:

Spades = Attack
Clubs = Feint
Diamonds = Defense
Hearts = Maneuver

Now when you’re plotting out your moves in the conflict, just lay a card of the appropriate suit face-down in a line. When you resolve the turn, just turn over the cards one at a time, left to right and there you go.

This, of course, lead to a desire to have a full-blown custom deck of cards for Mouse Guard:

72 cards divided into six “suits” (for up to 5 players and a GM). Big, tarot-sized cards with lavish illustrations of a mouse guard in action.

Within each suit of 12 you can further subdivide by:

6 “pairs” of cards linked by color of cloak
4 “triples” of cards linked by season
3 “quads” of cards linked by fur color
2 “sixes” of cards linked by the scene being indoors/outdoors (or maybe fighting/not fighting)

Each card is also numbered and has icons along the margins for the color-blind.

And the 12-card suit for the GM uses weasels not mice.

So the reason for all that excess subdivision stuff is so that the deck of cards can be used for more than just conflict resolution. You can use it as an alternative resolution system, a random event generator or just make up your own games to play with it.

But that’s just my pie-in-the-sky idea. The real nugget here is to make it easier to organize you conflicts with playing cards.

Somebody get on the phone to David Petersen. Quick!

if going that route, I’d rather have cards that fit in MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh sleeves.

I’m reticent to play Queen’s Necklace due to not being able to sleeve the cards.

Actually, if the demand is sufficient, getting them done in KEM-cards (solid plastic cards) might be a viable option… my favorite cribbage deck (with more than 2000 games of cribbage) still feels like a brand new deck… and it’s been washed twice due to spilled soda and once due to spilled coffee.

Looking at COPAG’s pricing sheet, custom backs run under $7 per deck for apparent minimum run of 1400 decks…

This seems like a good idea, speak to David on the MG Forums at Archaia.