Designing my first dungeon: The Ancient's Crypt

Hey I’m starting a new Torchbearer group, and instead of starting with Under the House of Three Squires I decided to craft my own dungeon. I’m working on it (still have to draw the map), and I would like you guys check it out and point all the mistakes I surely made.

The idea is to introduce the group to this game. They have varying roleplaying experience, and only one of them played Torchbearer. The dungeon is really small and simple, so they can finish it in one session. I feel that I had placed too little Loot, even though the idea is that they can loot the monsters that they encounter.

Hook
Lifdis asks the adventurers to go find her brother Latham, who disappeared two days ago while paying his respects at a shrine dedicated to the Ancients with their brother Lungley. Lifdis already found Lungley dead at the shrine, but she couldn’t find any traces of Latham. The adventurers agreed to investigate.

Like all shrines to the Ancients these antediluvian posts are actually tombs of the humans that settled the land in a time before memory. This one has been open for some years now and an adventuring group already tried to loot it, falling to the power of the Ancients in the process. The brothers started visiting this lesser known shrine periodically to take some of the offerings left by travelers, provoking the fury of the Ancients and awakening the enthralled adventurers from their rest. A fight ensued, Lungley was slain, one of the walking dead was destroyed and Latham was captured to be turned into a thrall of the Ancients.

Dungeon
Scattered around the shrine can be found some copper coins for a total of 4D worth of treasure. Taking this offerings will awake the Tomb guardians.

Area 1: the original tunnel has collapsed leaving a narrow vertical passage to enter the mortuary chambers.

It’s an Ob 2 Dungeoneer test for one person to descend to the chambers and a Ob 4 for the whole group. Rope can be used as Supplies. Suggested twist: the adventurers lose a piece of equipment, the rope breaks, a lantern falls, iron spikes get loose.

Area 2a: the whole crypt was carved on the living rock so it’s hard to find Latham’s trail.

It’s an Ob 2 Scout test to track down Latham to Area 3. Suggested condition: Angry.

Area 2b: in the niches lie the forgotten bones of people from ages before recorded time. If the players search the area they can find alien mineral pieces that can work as a holy symbol of the Ancients.

It’s an Ob 4 Theologian/Lore Master test to recognize this strange minerals. This test can be helped with Dungeoneer, Scholar and Stonemason. Suggested twist: they destroy some Ancient remains while looting the place, awakening the guardians.

Area 2c: this chamber is about to collapse. When the adventurers enter have them make an Ob 3 Health test to avoid being struck by the falling ceiling. Suggested condition: Injured.

In the passage leading to the Area 3 lies the broken remains of one of the Tomb guardians, struck down by Latham. The corpse has a pouch with 6 iron spikes and a small hammer.

Area 2d: this chamber is of difficult access since it’s entrance has collapsed, but now it’s stable and can work as a safe camp.

When on a run it’s an Ob 3 Dungeoneer test to enter this chamber. Suggested twist: one of the adventurers get stuck.

Area 3: here lie the remains of the old adventuring party, now undead thralls of the Ancients. They are 3 Tomb guardians led by a Barrow wight. Also there is the seriously wounded Latham at the border of the chasm.

The undead won’t raise unless a Wandering Monster has been invoked or the character’s had disturbed the Ancient’s remains in some way. If the adventurers have a cleric versed in the cult of the Ancients or have made an amulet from the remains in the Ancient’s bones then they can engage in a Convince conflict.

Carrying Latham up the surface counts as a factor.

Area 4: this bottomless pit was once the mass burial ground of an Ancient tribe, now lost forever in the entrails of the Earth. Their maddening whispers can be faintly heard along the unnatural wind that comes from the depths.

Far down the chasm on a natural ledge can be seen the shimmering piece of an ancient jade circlet with golden veins that’s worth 4D of treasure. Reaching down the ledge it’s an Ob 4 Dungeoneer test. Looting the circlet triggers the Ancient’s curse and at the time of the bearer’s death his corpse will raise and become a new Tomb guardian. Also looting the circlet will awake the guardians if they haven’t been dealt with.

Wandering Monsters
[ol]
[li]The adventurers are struck with the low, unnatural pulse that comes from the depths of the crypt. Ob 2 Will test to overcome the unholy feeling of stepping in Ancient grounds. Suggested twist: Afraid.
[/li][li]The adventurers accidentally disturb the holy remains of the Ancient, awakening their guardians. If they already did so, they encounter 1d6 Tomb guardians patrolling the crypt.
[/li][li]A gust of wind blows all their light sources. The winds carry the wailing lamentations of Latham.
[/li][li]Part of the ceiling or walls spontaneously collapse toward one of the characters. Ob 2 Health test to dodge the incoming boulder. Suggested condition: Exhausted.
[/li][li]The adventurers stumble upon the Barrow wight.
[/li][li]One of the characters suffers the unbearable feeling of aging unnaturally fast. Ob 2 Health test. Suggested condition: Sick, his hair starts turning white.
[/li][/ol]

I would really appreciate your critics. I really want to start a campaign and I have to hook up my players with the game to do so.

Stay cool :cool:

Hey! Nice adventure! Four rooms? I should have thought of that. Maybe I’ll do another one sometime.

I think you have things pretty well in hand, so I’m just going to nitpick. Hopefully I don’t lead you astray.

In area 2c, it is suggested that the characters get the Injured condition if they don’t get struck by the falling ceiling. It might just be an issue of word choice. Perhaps it should say “to avoid being crushed (to death) by the falling ceiling” or maybe just “to avoid being trapped by the falling ceiling”. Like I said, I’m having to look pretty hard to find “problems”.

The requirements for engaging in a Convince conflict seem awesome and interesting. :slight_smile:

Wandering Monster 1: “Afraid” isn’t a twist, but a condition. What happens if the player fails the test? Does he flee into the darkness or something? The GM can come up with his own Twists, I suppose, but it might be nice to know what the " low, unnatural pulse" is supposed to do if you fail to resist it.

Wandering Monster 6: The character’s hair turning white might be considered a Twist. What happens if the character actually fails the roll? Does he add 1d6 (2d6?) years to his age or something? That would be pretty intense.

Anyway, I really just wanted to interact with your great little adventure.

Actually seven rooms, 2a, b, c and d are just closely connected. Now that you say I’d like fewer rooms, also I feel like Area 2a it’s really empty, I’ll merge it with Area 2b.

I’m not sure I understood what you mean here. The idea is that the ceiling works like a trap. I’m afraid that the collapsing room will cut them out of escaping from the monsters in Area 3. Also I just saw that Area 2c is the only connection to area 3, which is really roadrail-ish, so I’ll have to craft some kind of alternative route in case things go really bad with the Barrow Wight.

Yeah I totally messed up there, I meant “condition”. I thought that since the majority of wandering monsters results introduce problems that must be dealt with additional tests I’ll just “cut the middle man” for some results and make them test as if it were some kind of trap. If they fail the test they get the condition (so it doesn’t become an infinite wheel of twists :stuck_out_tongue: ).

About the flavor I was thinking in something like the “Nameless Ones” in the Tombs of Atuan. Here lies a great power that wishes to continue undisturbed and bears control over forgotten millennia, the idea is that the whole cave is reacting to the adventurer’s intrusion.

The white hair thing was just flavor to the Sick condition. I initially thought about increasing the character’s age, now that you propose it it feels like a good idea (maybe 1d6 years for a human, 2d6 for dwarfs and 3d6 for elves?). But now I’m in doubt, should I make them test Will and if they fail get Sick and the white hair with the rapid aging or just the white hair and rapid aging?

I’m happy you liked it :smiley: I still think there’s too little loot, what you think about it?

I still have to finish the map!!

Since people never seem to get much past four areas in a single session, having a four-area dungeon seemed like a neat idea.

I’m pretty sure giving them a twist (white hair and rapid aging) and a condition (Sick) is frowned upon.

As for the treasure, I don’t know what the “right amount” is, but personally I’d go with 11 items (one for each point of Might in the dungeon). I currently count 8 in your list. When I made my most recent dungeon, that’s what I did, rolling randomly for each point of Might and assigning them where they would make the most sense. Then, if I had planned treasure (ruby golem eyes or something) but didn’t roll what I needed (two gems, for example), I just added them on top of the existing loot.

I’ll go ahead and merge Areas 2A and 2B then also I’m going to connect area 2A with Area 3. Area 2D (now 2C) is empty and it doesn’t take any tests unless the characters are running into to take refuge, so it almost does’t count, they’ll only want to use it for camp. Area 4 is almost optional, since it depends on the characters defeating the guardians in Area 3

Yea, you’re right, I’ll remove the condition and leave the twist with the adding age effect.

I guess I’ll just roll the loot table there depending on how they deal with the monsters. I’m guessing that they will Kill a Tomb Guardians patrol and Flee from the Barrow Wight and his skeletons, so maybe they will get to add some treasure to their sacks.

So here’s the updated dungeon:

Hook
Lifdis asks the adventurers to go find her brother Latham, who disappeared two days ago while paying his respects at a shrine dedicated to the Ancients with their brother Lungley. Lifdis already found Lungley dead at the shrine, but she couldn’t find any traces of Latham. The adventurers agreed to investigate.

Like all shrines to the Ancients these antediluvian posts are actually tombs of the humans that settled the land in a time before memory. This one has been open for some years now and an adventuring group already tried to loot it, falling to the power of the Ancients in the process. The brothers started visiting this lesser known shrine periodically to take some of the offerings left by travelers, provoking the fury of the Ancients and awakening the enthralled adventurers from their rest. A fight ensued, Lungley was slain, one of the walking dead was destroyed and Latham was captured to be turned into a thrall of the Ancients.

Dungeon
Scattered around the shrine can be found some copper coins for a total of 4D worth of treasure. Taking this offerings will awake the Tomb guardians.

#1 The Tunnel (lit)the original tunnel has collapsed leaving a narrow vertical passage to enter the mortuary chambers.

It’s an Ob 2 Dungeoneer test for one person to descend to the chambers and a Ob 4 for the whole group. Rope can be used as Supplies. Suggested twist: the adventurers lose a piece of equipment, the rope breaks, a lantern falls, iron spikes get loose.

#2a The Crypt (dim): in the niches lie the forgotten bones of people from ages before recorded time. If the players search the area they can find alien mineral pieces that can work as a holy symbol of the Ancients.

It’s an Ob 4 Theologian/Lore Master test to recognize this strange minerals. This test can be helped with Dungeoneer, Scholar and Stonemason. Suggested twist: they destroy some Ancient remains while looting the place, awakening the guardians.

The whole crypt was carved on the living rock so it’s hard to find Latham’s trail. It’s an Ob 2 Scout test to track down Latham to Area 3. Suggested condition: Angry.

The crypts northern wall is open to a natural balcony that leads to the guardian’s den. It’s an Ob 3 Health test to jump down, but a rope can be used as a Good idea. Suggested condition: Hungry and Thirsty.

#2b Small chamber and tunnel (dark): this chamber is about to collapse. When the adventurers enter have them make an Ob 3 Health test to avoid being struck by the falling ceiling. Suggested condition: Injured.

In the passage leading to the Area 3 lies the broken remains of one of the Tomb guardians, struck down by Latham. The corpse has a pouch with 6 iron spikes and a small hammer.

#2c Empty chamber (dark): this chamber is connected to the crypt by a narrow crack which makes access somewhat difficult. It can be used as a safe camp.

When on a run it’s an Ob 3 Dungeoneer test to enter this area. Suggested twist: one of the adventurers get stuck.
#3 Guardian’s Den (dark): here lie the remains of the old adventuring party, now undead thralls of the Ancients. They are 3 Tomb guardians led by a Barrow wight. Also there is the seriously wounded Latham at the border of the chasm.

The undead won’t raise unless a Wandering Monster has been invoked or the character’s had disturbed the Ancient’s remains in some way. If the adventurers have a cleric versed in the cult of the Ancients or have made an amulet from the remains in the Ancient’s bones then they can engage in a Convince conflict.

Carrying Latham up the surface counts as a factor.

# 4 The Chasm (dark): this bottomless pit was once the mass burial ground of an Ancient tribe, now lost forever in the entrails of the Earth. Their maddening whispers can be faintly heard along the unnatural wind that comes from the depths.

Far down the chasm on a natural ledge can be seen the shimmering piece of an ancient jade circlet with golden veins that’s worth 4D of treasure. Reaching down the ledge it’s an Ob 4 Dungeoneer test. Looting the circlet triggers the Ancient’s curse and at the time of the bearer’s death his corpse will raise and become a new Tomb guardian. Also looting the circlet will awake the guardians if they haven’t been dealt with.

Wandering Monsters
[ol]
[li]The adventurers are struck with the low, unnatural pulse that comes from the depths of the crypt. Ob 2 Will test to overcome the unholy feeling of stepping in Ancient grounds. Suggested condition: Afraid.
[/li][li]The adventurers accidentally disturb the holy remains of the Ancient, awakening their guardians. If they already did so, they encounter 1d6 Tomb guardians patrolling the crypt.
[/li][li]A gust of wind blows all their light sources. The winds carry the wailing lamentations of Latham.
[/li][li]Part of the ceiling or walls spontaneously collapse toward one of the characters. Ob 2 Health test to dodge the incoming boulder. Suggested condition: Exhausted.
[/li][li]The adventurers stumble upon the Barrow wight.
[/li][li]One of the characters suffers the unbearable feeling of aging unnaturally fast. Ob 2 Health test. Suggested twist: His hair starts turning white, add 1d6 years to the actual age for a human adventurer, 2d6 for a dwarf and 3d6 for an elf.
[/li][/ol]

And here’s the map (is really rough, I still have difficulties drawing digitally):

Still up for criticism, any errors you see, let me know :wink:

I get an Invalid Attachment error when clicking on your link.

Ups, sorry, just edited. Also, we played yesterday… it was tough.

Stau cool :cool:

That map looks pretty good on my screen, not rough at all!

The layout of the rooms and their connections is a bit confusing at first, though. How exactly do you go from 2a to 2b, and where is the crack to 2c?

Via archway. I made a little “crack” symbol between room 2a and 2c.